Gable fan question

I want to install a gable fan in my attic. My gable vents face North and South. I live in the North East (NY) I wonder which end of the house the fan should be mounted? I also wonder with a ridge vent on the roof, will a gable fan draw air "in" from the ridge vent?
Forget the fan. Just make sure the ridgevent as vent to draw fresh air from.

Art wrote:

Hi, Forget not, the intake side. Tony

Exactly what I was trying to say.
I'm not sure what you are saying?

A ridgevent is the best kind of venting system you can have. But you need air vent to draw outside air from. Hopefully you have venting in the overhangs of your house. There are formulars to calculate what you need. I doubt you need the fan.

Some authorities warn against using power fans for attic ventilation if you have a gas furnace in your attic.
On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 20:27:52 GMT, "Art"

jim
My attic has uninsulated AC tubes snaking around. I just shake my head when I see them. If I were going to take action to increase cooling I would start with insulating them.

My house has soffit vents only on one side of the house. Many of the houses built in this area (by the same builder) long ago got away with this. I feel it's not adaquate enough for the house. And no you cant add soffet vents because the roof has no over hang on the back side. All the soffet vents are clear and do what they are suppose to do but the attic gets way too hot. By adding a gable vent fan I hope to exhaust the hot air. My question is if the fan will draw air "in" from the ridge vent rather then the soffit vents. But even if it does, will it pose any problems.

fan
gable
I would install the fan the farthest from my bedroom. So I did not hear it at night.
In alt.home.repair on Sun, 24 Jul 2005 09:07:21 -0700 "SQLit"

Will a gable fan run at night? I figured they turned off thermostatically by 10PM, like my roof fan.