Furnace cycling

Page 3 of 3

Hi Joseph, hope you are having a nice day
On 13-Mar-05 At About 00:50:50, Joseph wrote to All Subject: Re: Furnace cycling
J>> If the system is cycling on high limit it is possibly an airflow J>> problem. If the HO were to remove the filter and it works normally, J>> the problem may not be solved but it would be identified, J>> no?
>> if you read the original. by what he describes the burner doesn't run >> long enough for the fan to even come on.
J> I just reread the OP's posts and it seems clear to me that it is up J> and burning and the fan is running when it kicks out repeatedly with J> out cycling the fan. I may be miss-interpreting it though...
It is quite hard to try to troubleshoot over the net. That is why I usually recommend a call to a local company. there just isn't any way to get a correct answer when the person you are writing to doesn't understand the terminology or correct operating sequence. I could be wrong be I thought he said it cycled several times before the fan even came on.
-=> HvacTech2 <=-
.. "I wrote a few children's books... Not on purpose." - s.w.
Hi Gary, hope you are having a nice day
On 11-Mar-05 At About 22:25:04, Gary Stone wrote to Gary Stone Subject: Furnace cycling
GS> Hi, I've got a forced air propane furnace, Luxaire model GSU082MF GS> Series NAGOE (could be a Q) serial #1310002 Controlled by a Honeywell GS> T87F heat only thermostat. This morning I was down in the basement GS> and noticed that it had the initial ignition then that cut off after GS> a while (normal burn) then a couple of minutes later a second GS> ignition which ran a couple of minutes, when that cut off I headed GS> up the stairs only to hear it kick in a third time for a couple GS> of minutes. Total time for this was about 10 to 13 minutes. Before GS> I went down there I had moved the thermostat only to the point which GS> it kicked in, 60 F from 58 F so, it wasn't that drastic a jump. GS> Yeah, I like it on the cool side. The outside temp was 19 F. I do GS> not remember it ever acting in this manner and suspect there might GS> be a problem, Yes? No? Thanks for any input.
GS> Stone
have you moved or made any adjustments to the thermostat? if not it could be a sign of unit failure coming. Do you have normal maintenance done? if not it may be time to have it cleaned and tuned.
-=> HvacTech2 <=-
.. "Curiosity killed the cat, but for a while I was a suspect."- s.w.

Had it cleaned about this time last year and he did adjust the thermostat, I don't know what he did there but he did say the furnace was in good shape and that he set the thermostat to a 1 something or other, mean anything to you? I did try to move the HA setting on Sctooz advise from 5 to 6 but moved it back to 5 as the burner kicked in 4 times at 6. Well, I turned the stat down, didn't want to try for a 5th. I know it's wasting propane but is it presenting a fire hazard? When you say "Unit Failure" do you mean the thermostat or the furnace?
Thanks Stone