Furnace blows but does not heat (intermittent problem)

Page 5 of 7

Steve B wrote:

Subscribe to the Colton Independent asshole! Its not on net.. The Explosion was a Farmer install of a propane furnace that was vastly oversized. Nothing was to safety standards. Appears the limit was jumpered out one thing.

Do hold your breath shithead.. And why are you here anyway? You don't like us so either meet me head on or shut the fuck up. I work for a living and really don't have a lot of time for coksukers like you!

Put your money where your mouth is! I will take that bet!

Check with Farmers insurance group...Thats who paid me for an analysis of the equipment type after the Fire Investigations team from Minneapolis had finished. It is after all a very rural area. But there are licensed HVAC people in the area. The Hardware store ordered the furnace for them.. We had another one over by Humboldt last year.. Same kind of instal etc.

"With a little research, one can easily become familiar with any system, and with a few successes, competent to perform at least rudimentary repairs."
You really are a clueless fool, and that's why you come here looking for answers? because you already know the answer, right?
Two things happened today.
1. I fixed my mother-in-law's washing machine and faucet.
And
2. I had a licensed contractor come and fix my hvac.
The fixing of the drain hose, and the flushing of sediment on the pipes of the washing machine and faucet would have cost $100 for a plumber.
The fixing of the smart valve was $463. The thing was, no one would sell me the parts to do it myself.
Smacks of monopoly and price controlling, if you ask me.
Steve

That's a shame. Did companies literally refuse to sell to you or did you just have trouble finding the part?
In my (limited) experience, I have never had a problem getting supply houses to sell to me. I try to be respectful of their business model and come well-prepared and ready to order but beyond that I have found everybody helpful and eager to sell to anybody with the cash.

There's more to the story. I called and asked how much the part sold for. The tekkie said they didn't sell to the general public, but to only those with accounts. I asked what it took to get an account. He said a tax resale number and a business license. I said I had both. He then said to bring them over, set up an account, and then he would sell it to me. So I went from ignorant member of the general public to acceptable workman with proper licensing with a few words on the telephone.

Not so everywhere.
I ended up calling a friend, and having someone he knew to do the job, since it WAS something that dealt with natural gas, and was potentially hazardous.
Steve

I think that probably makes you more qualified than half of the "pros" here on the group.
Although I think you may also have been able to prove your "professionalism" by just telling the clerk "blow me" -- it seems to be one of the key technical words of the trade :)
blueman wrote: <snip>

<snip>
Congratulations on a job well done.

Thanks -- you seem to be one of the few gentlemen on the alt.hvac newsgroup...
blueman posted for all of us...

And you seem to be a fundy idiot.

My programmable thermostat had a display on it to call a 800 number. It wouldn't blow hot air from the gas roof unit.
I called the 800#. A nice tekkie came out. We went out on the roof, and he pulled a panel. He wiggled a wire, and the thing came on. He said, "There's your problem. I can't fix it, but all you need to do is stick a toothpick in there to make it move over for a tighter contact."
He also said it would be a good idea to put in a "smart valve" assembly, and showed me how to do it. A simple job of about an hour. He told me he has seen countless toothpick fixes with the homeowner paying $100 for a service call.
I inserted said toothpick after he left. Well, long story short, the toothpick is still working.
A smart valve is $100, and $400 installed. I think I will install it myself when the weather warms up a bit. Until then, it's fine.
There ARE some good hvac guys out there. Just not a lot. I think a lot of guys who flunk out of used car school become hvacs.
Steve

Yeah, right. Screw on a new gas valve and plug the wires back in. All will be well??? Good thing you know about gas pressures, temp rise and CO levels. No problem there. You're a genius. Bubba

Bubba wrote:

Speaking of gas, the "professional" who installed our gas range had to do it three times before he got it right. I think there are a lot of DIYers who could do better.
The guy working for SearsLoewsHomeDepot aren't professionals.

--
Fall seven times, stand up eight
--Japanese proverb
Steve Scott wrote:

This guy was an independent -- not associated with any of the big retailers.

Let me guess...you got your phone book and called around for the cheapest quote....serves you right....you'll respond and deny this, of course, but we've seen it all before...
--
Respectfully, Bob

Bob_Loblaw wrote:

Denied.
wrote

Okay, I'm starting to get it now. Not only are we supposed to call in a highly experienced HVAC professional, we're supposed to shop around for the highest bidder.

No wonder the "pros" here have so much time on their hands -- they fail to understand that the combination of incompetence, rudeness, and high pricing doesn't really make for a thriving business.
It amazes me how pathetic it is that these so-called professionals feel so threatened by a couple of homeowners that they waste there supposedly rare free time ranting and raving like a bunch of elementary school kids. But then again most of them probably don't have much more than an elementary school level education...
wrote

All you need to do is go up into the attic and inspect their work. Misaligned ducts. Untapped joints. Hot and cold air blowing out of gaps that would take a small amount of tape to seal.
Shameful. And particularly shameful when they claim to be professionals and knowing so much.
If a guy can't see there's an inch gap in a duct, and goes on with his work, he's a true idiot, an unprofessional, or someone who TRULY doesn't give a shit.
STeve
wrote

the
Since you apparently have nothing better to do with your life than to spend countless hours in harrassing those engaged within the hvac tirade ( whom deserve a living wage every bit as much as any other fucking joe-sixpac)......
Then suggest go step in front of the next bus or train that happens to pass by.