friggin $%&@ squirrels !

Page 2 of 2
Bonnie Jean wrote:

What do you mean by a "decent" website? If it's on the web, does that mean it has to be true?
My results were direct, experimental data: Dropping off the squirrels 500' feet away is fine especially if a neighbor has a birdfeeder near the drop point. Do you have any data yourself, or just an opinion from an uncertified web site?

They will get yellow in spring time from pollen. We used to get so much pollen from 200 foot douglas firs that you would have to turn on your wipers in the morning to see!......
Squirrels are a dynamic population. Trap and move doesn't help, they just come back. Shooting doesn't help, either. One of my father's friends shot 300 squirrels in his back yard and didn't change anything.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

work,
On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 22:38:16 -0500, "Michael Baugh"

I heard it was any aftershave, so if you don't have the cheap stuff, till you get some, you can use any. But get the cheap stuff, to save some cash.
Oh, I was told that you just have to leave the open bottle, don't poor it. So when you get rid of the squirrels, you just recap the bottle, and get rid of the smell too.

hth,
tom @ www.WorkAtHomePlans.com
Stormin Mormon wrote:

just
shot
Maybe he should have tried shooting the live ones.
I'm speechless. that was either funny or idiotic. Which?
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
The Real Tom wrote:

Neither.

I've been surrounded by heavy spruce woods with lots of squirrels. Believe me, if you shoot every squirrel you see and hear, it will solve the problem. I also agree with all the suggestions to make other changes such as trimming trees, etc. etc.

It does no such thing if you live in a heavily wooded area as you claim. Unless you sit outside all day, every day, this just isn't an option for someone serious about the problem.
If you just like rodent sport shooting, have at it.

Reminds me of a story from "The Best of Ann Landers."
The thread was wives should take an interest in their husbands' hobbies and, if possible, participate in them so that they could share activities to have quality time together.
So this Mrs. wrote back that her husband's hobby was hunting. She rather liked that part of it. But off season he keeps in practice by going to the city dump to shoot rats. What should she do?
I can't recall the advice on this one. But that guy is a genius and gets to rid vermin too.

Personally, I use a Winchester lever action trap. Size .22 calibre. There are no repeat offenders!
Dave D

Personally, I use a Winchester lever action trap. Size .22 calibre. There are no repeat offenders! ***********************
I live in suburbia so using a gun is out of the question and besides my 357 would probably be overkill.

357
Maybe you could get away with a pellet gun. I've never had luck with the havaharts.
Maybe you could get away with a pellet gun. I've never had luck with the havaharts. ************* I trapped two last weekend with a Havahart. I took 'em 7 miles away with a river between me and them. :)
Bonnie

Yea, you need to cut/trim all trees or branches that are within jumping distance to your roof. This is not a secret and is rather a common sense item.
Once they're in your house, you have a whole different problem to deal with and you need to get them out because they will live there for a long time breeding and infesting your attic.

Put wire mesh along the entire botton of the roof line (under the shingles and gutters -- you can't see it from the ground). Put wire mesh around attic vent fan openings, as squirrels who want to can peel the weak mesh really there. Put wire mesh at all other possible ingress points (all a squirrel needs is enough space to fit a tooth under wood in order to get started chewing). Put escape hatches in for 30 days to get the squirrels who have hoarded food inside and therefore don't need to leave for a while (the escape hatches are one-way, obviously).
The problem you have now is the squirrel or squirrels have marked their entrances. Every squirrel in the neighborhood now knows your house is fair game. They will keep coming until they realize they can't get in.
Trust me, hire a professional.