Freezer section iced up

Why is the bottom of the freezer section in my side by side Maytag refrigerator always iced up? Where does moisture go in? The seal is good as far as I can tell. It is only three years old.

Reply to
yaofeng

This happens to us too. I read in my manual book to dissolve baking soda in hot water and use a eye a gravy baster to put it in the drain as it was frozen shut.

My drain is in the bottom of the freezer way in back of the lowest shelf. (Sears side by side freezer/refrigerator)

This happens to us everytime we lose electricity. The last time the power was off for an hour. I had to throw away some of the ice as the ice cubes melt together.

It took our freezer 24 hours before the ice maker worker normal again.

shirleyann

Reply to
Shirley ann

The water comes from the defrost mode of the fridge. The fridge cycles to melt the water in the freezer coil and there is a drain below it so it can go out to an evaporator pan under the fridge.

The drain tube is obviously either frozen over (happened to me more than once with my Maytag side by side) or there's debris plugging it.

You need to remove the bottom panel at the inside back of the freezer side and check the drain. If it's frozen, a cup of hot tap water will open it up.

I've lost all faith in Maytag appliances. I owned a Sears Coldspot fridge for over 25 years without the need for the first service call. I've had my Maytag for 6 and the service man has been out here five different times. It would have been more, but I watched over his shoulder; and now can do some of the simple stuff myself.

My Maytag clothes washer is almost, but not quite, as bad. No more Maytags for me.

Reply to
Nobody You'd Know

As a repair guy, may I reccomend Whirlpool? The ones I've seen have been good. GE, the parts house guys call Generally Expensive.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Thanks for the tip. Indeed the drain outlet under the coils is all iced up. I removed the chunk of ice and put things back. Just keep my finger crossed for the next ice breaking activity.

Reply to
yaofeng