Freezer part of Kitchenaid refrigerator not freezing

We have a Kitchenaid Suberba refrigerator/freezer (side by side) that we bought in 1992. I'm pretty sure it only has one compressor because it has the standard freezer and refrigerator controls inside the refrigerator side. Each control goes from 1-4 with 4 being the coldest. The refrigerator control also has an Off position.

Since we bought it, both controls have been set at the little triangle between 2 and 3.

Gradually, over the last few weeks, the ice cream, which we keep in the door, started being a little too soft. The meat and other items in the main compartment seem frozen solid.

About a week ago, I moved the freezer control to 3. After a few days, when that didn't help, I moved it to 4. No change. The ice cream is still too soft -- almost liquid.

I can't find the manual, but I seem to remember that the two controls are relative -- that is, they change how much of the cooling goes to each compartment. So I moved the refrigerator setting to a warmer setting. I just did that, so I'll see what happens tomorrow.

I am woprried that the compressor is going out. But the refrigerator sode is very cold and the main part of the freezer seems ok, too, so maybe not.

Is there anything else I can do before I call a repairman?

Thanks

Reply to
LurfysMa

Maybe an ice blockage inside, thaw it out for 24 hours, does the fan run, or are the sides always warm it could be stuck on defrost.

Reply to
m Ransley

Hi,

Have you cleaned the condensor coils recently on this refrigerator?

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

Appliance Repair Aid

Yes, I cleaned them about 5-6 weeks ago. They weren't all that dirty.

Am I correct that with one-compressor units the two controls both affect both compartments because the cooling takes place in the freezer compartment first, then some of that cold air is blown over into the refrigerator compartment?

That is, if I move the frig control to warmer it will make the freezer compartment colder and vice versa?

Reply to
LurfysMa

I moved the ice cream from the door to the main compartment. It seems to be freezing now (just a few hours).

So it seems that the unit is working. It just won't keep things frozen that are in the door. This is recent. It was working up until a few weeks ago.

Reply to
LurfysMa

go to kitchenaid.com, and you can probably download the manual at no charge

Reply to
webmz

PS- cleaning the condensor coil usually helps but your fridge might have the coils not in the back, but at the top, behind a grill which is why I suggested downloading the manual for your model

Reply to
webmz

G'day,

Slightly yes....one is a "real" cold control that cycles everything on and off ( compressor, fans, etc ) and the other is an air damper. Turning air damper slightly warmer will keep more air in the freezer and a little less in the fresh food section.

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

Appliance Repair Aid