Freezer not Freezing

I have a Frigidaire refrigerator (18 cubic feet, about 7 years old) with a top-mount freezer. I recently noticed that the freezer is no longer freezing food so I searched Google for troubleshooting tips. The refrigerator still works (but sometimes it doesn't seem as cold as it used to be). Based on the articles I've read, I've done the following:

1) vacuumed the condenser coils in the back of the fridge 2) dusted off the compressor 3) removed the panel in the back of the freezer- this revealed a working fan and cooling coils that were not iced over 4) checked to ensure the drain that leads to the evaporator was not clogged- it was not clogged 5) checked the door seals- which were fine

In addition to the freezer not freezing, the refrigerator will run for extended periods of time- probably due to the fact that since the internal temperature is not low enough, the thermostat is not switching off the compressor. My guess is that there might be a freon-related problem (based on the fact that the freezer is no longer getting cold enough). I also read that it might be the compressor.

Any other ideas on what this might be/what I can do/repair costs would be appreciated. I'll probably also call a repairman for his/her diagnosis if I can't do anything else on my own- though it might be cheaper to just purchase a new refrigerator altogether.

Thanks.

Reply to
CK

Since you mention coils in the back, you may wish to do the touch test. See if the black copper tube from the compressor to the top of the coils is good and hot. If not, it's probably low on freon.

It's usually not practical to find a slow leak, so my answer is to clamp on a piercing valve, and pump in some more freon. I get typically $75 for such a gas and go. The rest of your diagnosis sounds spot on.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Oooooh, touch test. Sounds difficult for you, Stormy

It may be the defrost timer stuck in defrost.

Reply to
HeatMan

I'm not familiar with that model, but it could be the defrost timer keeping the defrost heaters on.

Reply to
HeatMan

This is Turtle.

well here is my two cents on this. Look closely as to the back coil in side the freezer area as to the back or bottom is not frozen over with ice as to about

1/8 to 1/2 inch thick. It the freezer area inside is not froze up any where , you have a good chance it needs freon or a inefficent compressor. 1 in a 100 it is in-effient and 99 % of the times it is low on freon. I just looked at one this evening and it was a Frigidaire like yours 6 years old and low on freon.

Now worth while to fix , well if it is the compressor buy a new one. If it is low on freon just gas it up and let it go. Now some people are using stop leak for cars on the refrigerators to stop them from leaking and i do say it works.

Now if you saw freezing on the floor or back wall of the freezer area. You have a defrost problem and it can be fixed fairly easy.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

My thoughts. compressor might not pump very well, I assume it is 134 refrigerant considering the age. this has poly oil as the lubricant When fridge is abused as not having condenser cleaned it can make th oil break down which could partially plug the cap tube. It does mimi being low on charge, adding refrigerant can make refrigerant fee farther although you are increasing head pressure and abusing th compressor even more. If it is low on charge the leak is probably o the low side of the system considering it takes quite a while to loos its charge. If this is the case the unit was probably running in vacuum pulling noncondensibles into the system which would cause mor problems. I would suggest calling a tech. I dont think the heater would stay on even if the defrost clock was stuck, there should be terminator of some sort that would turn them off, further more th evaporator would freeze up if the clock did not work and you said yo had checked the fan and did not see any ice

-- hieb

this thread:

hiebs

This is Turtle.

I work on these boxes from time to time and see very few in-efficent compressor but a lot of low on freon with the frigidaire refrigerators in the last 10 years or so. The Example is i see 1 Whirlpool and then see 10 frigidaire leaking. The time where they leak down is the 4 to 8 year time frame.

Now the suction system as you say pulling moisture into the system. Well with these refrigerator the refrigerator will stop just about working at all together before it get to zero psi on the suction pressure.

Frigidaire is just about the least brand i would get if looking for a good refrigerator.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE