Freezer Leaking?

Hello, My GF has a freezer, small chest type that sits in her living room. This morning she called and said the carpet was soaked in the area. The freezer was still "frozen" inside. There was about a gallon or 2 of water on the floor.

My question is what happened? I am guessing some kind of fluke with power, thermo, or timer. Maybe it refroze after thawing? We were gone over the weekend, but she claims this hapened overnight.

Any ideas appreciated.

Reply to
chaz

My guess is it defrosted.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

It's almost certainly got a plate on it somewhere that tells you what KIND of freezer it is..

Reply to
default

Thanks for the response, why would it defrost on its own? I hate to sound stupid, but am not going to try and cover it up :)

chaz

Reply to
chaz

Some models of chest-freezer have an automatic defrost. Others have a switch or button. In neither case should the defrosting cause a flood, unless there's a drain-plug open somewhere.

--Goedjn

Reply to
default

Hi,

Chest type freezers are -usually- manual defrost = no defrost timer.

Cold control -could- have shut off and forgot to come back on.

Any clocks flashing indicating a power outage?

The compressor has a built in safety switch that can/will shut off the freezer if the compressor got too hot....compressor may shut off if the freezer is used on an extention cord.

Most freezers will hold thier cold/temp for 24-48 hours ( if not opened ) if the power goes out....more possible it didn't happen overnight!?!?

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

jeff

Does she have a cat or dog?

There shouldn't be any kind of timer in a chect freezer. The power could have gone out or part of the control system failed but I would think it would take quite a while (days-weeks) for anything frozen to unthaw to the point of leaking onto the floor if the lid was kept closed.

Like it said, it would usually take a long time with the power off to create any kind of large puddles (if it would anywhere outside of the freezer at all without some sort of drain plug being removed).

JMO

Dan O.

- Appliance411.com

=Ð~~~~~~

Reply to
Dan O.

I had something similiar happen to my very old chest freezer. It actually failed, it'll still get cold just not freezing (slow freon leak??). I moved it to the porch to use it as a large chest cooler for vegies,

It started dripping water (unplugged). I tried tilting it back & fourth and slowly got a LOT of water out. Apparently the old insulation (probably fibres, not foam at its age) had been accumulating moisture for years that didn't melt when I manually defrosted.

Maybe what happened to your GF is that a long power failure allowed the insulation to warm up enough to melt and the water dripped out.

Reply to
Nick Hull