Four socket in old house not powering devices

Page 1 of 2
A couple days ago, I got called to a friend's house to troubleshoot a four outlet wall socket, which wasn't operating plug in devices. My three bulb tester said B-N was barely there, neon bulb was flickering. B-G was not powered, and of course N had no power, so N-G was show no neon bulb light.
New socket (recently put in) with orange 14 ga romex. Circuit panel was fairly new, and this circuit was supplied with new orange 14-2 Romex. I think I found the problem. Anyone want to guess what it was?
I'm going back to work on it in a couple days, will post follow up.
BTW, I'm not being racist when I say that N had no power, and N-G is open.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On Thursday, January 28, 2016 at 8:03:04 AM UTC-6, Stormin Mormon wrote:

OT would help...considering this is mindless blogging!
On Thursday, January 28, 2016 at 9:03:04 AM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Technician error? WTF is B-N, B-G, etc? B? There are hot, neutral and ground. Never seen a tester with B on it.
On 1/28/2016 9:14 AM, trader_4 wrote:

N = neutral G = Gnd
Mine does. In black Sharpie.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On Thursday, January 28, 2016 at 10:26:48 AM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Then why isn't it Black, White, Green?
On 1/28/2016 10:30 AM, trader_4 wrote:

that moment.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Why not call them what they are? It's scary that there's no realization that wire labeling scheme is dangerous: Hot, Neutral and Ground are the proper terms. Labeling one as "black" is bound to lead to confusion because electricians sometimes mark white wires with with black tape in 3 or 4 way switch setups, etc.
--
Bobby G.

14-2? Generally receptacles are wired to a 20A breaker. 14-2 has an ampacity of 15A (or less depending on fill ratio).
Guess: Backstabs were used
On Thu, 28 Jan 2016 15:41:28 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal) wrote:

General lighting receptacles in dwellings are usually 15a. You have 20s in kitchens, laundry and bathrooms. Homeowners may wire 20s everywhere but builders usually do not. You just have to look at the balance if 15 to 20 amp breakers in the panel to see that.
BTW if he backstabbed 10 ga wire (orange romex) into a receptacle he probably needed to drill out the hole. They are designed to only take 14ga wire. I have seen 12 ga jammed in there but they really had to work to do it. (speaking about the spring capture back stabber, not the spec grade where you tighten the screw)
On Thursday, January 28, 2016 at 11:43:53 AM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

+1
Most of the breakers here are 15A, maybe 20% are 20A.

Whereas here, everything except the two lighting circuits are 20A. That was true in the upper midwest when I worked for a electrical supply wholesaler in the 70's as well.
On Thu, 28 Jan 2016 17:48:08 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal) wrote:

That sounds like poor design. Using 20a circuits does allow the installer to use fewer circuits to achieve the 3va per sq/ft but fewer is not better when the breaker trips. There is no requirement that fixed lighting and receptacles be on separate circuits and a single 20 might cover one whole end of a house if the installer was being stingy. (800 square feet) The only time I ever saw that was when the AFCIs first started showing up (2002 cycle) and installers tried to put everything in all of the bedrooms on one AFCI. We couldn't tag it but if the guy was cutting corners this badly, there was always something else wrong. It just made us look harder.

Sounds like the wiring in a duplex apartment I was renting. It was built just before WW2. In each side was a fuse box with 2 20 amp fuses. That was for the lights and recepticals. There was a living room, 2 bed rooms, kitchen and bath. There was a seperate fuse pair for the stove and water heater.
On Thu, 28 Jan 2016 17:48:08 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal) wrote:

breaker doesn't meet code.
On Thu, 28 Jan 2016 18:06:56 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Maybe in Canada but not in the US unless it is a single receptacle with no other outlets.
On Thursday, January 28, 2016 at 6:07:02 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Wrong again. 15 amp receptacles on a 20 amp circuit are permitted, in US NEC.
On Thursday, January 28, 2016 at 11:43:53 AM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Doesn't it suck that we have to keep qualifying all mentions of "backstab" receptacles?
On 1/28/2016 7:54 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

There's back stab, and back clamp.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

I've not looked at the backs of the socket. Who knows? May very well be backstabbed. I hope not, those are a PIA to release the wire.
--
.
Christopher A. Young