Four ince diameter black pipe in basement

It comes up from the floor, across the ceiling and through the wall of the house, and bends outside the house, and is open at that end, Any clue what its purpose is, my house was built in 1919, and I would kinda like to seal it cause it brings in cold air.
It's a vent for the main waste line. You can seal around it, but don't close up the pipe, the system needs to breath

RBM (remove this) wrote:

Sounds like the old style vent lines that did not go above the roof. Instead they came out the side of the house and had a cap that kept things out, but let air flow.
They use both. I believe this one prevents the house trap from being sucked dry

On Sun, 26 Nov 2006 16:12:31 -0500, "RBM" <rbm2(remove

Or it's a rain gutter drop, which was intended to drain rain water into the sewer. I'd need more info...... Is it near a downspout?
Do you have a septic, or city sewer?
Either way, dont seal it. You can seal AROUND it though.
Can you smell sewer gasses iin the end of it?
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

It brings in air for a purpose and that air doesn't mix with the house air. If the pipe is cold, and that bothers you, insulate the pipe.