Foundation Parging mixing formulas

I am in the process of chipping off the old parget coat
on my brick foundation and reparging it.
I've herd varying formulas for the mix. Everything from
1/2 Portland & 1/2 sand to 1pt. Portland (type n), 1/4 pt
lime & 3pts sand.
What is the best mix, is it measured by weight or volume
and which cement? (Type I, II, III masonry cement) or
(Type N, S or M Portland cement)