for those of you who say land lines are reliable

Page 1 of 3
I just got a call from my mom, to tell me yet again to not bother trying to call on the land line, to call her cell instead if I need to tell her anything.
this is getting rediculous, Verizon has to have the worst customer service of any "legitimate" company in the history of this country. I mean, I can't imagine anyone else providing such awful service and staying in business. Why *don't* more people just cancel their land lines? (I know why my parents don't, they live too far out in the country to get cable. Otherwise...)
She said she was calling her state representative AGAIN to complain, and that several neighbors were without service as well...
nate
N8N wrote: ...

Because the land line _IS_ more reliable. Does she have backup generator to keep the cell charged during power outages, for example?
I'd never consider eliminating the land line in a rural area, meself...

Land lines are reliable because they are powered by the nearest relay station, not the household electric supply, thus function OK during local power outages. Of course they are wholly reliable only with a wired connection. Cordless phones fail during local outages (because they need household current to maintain the base station.) The OP did not say whether the mother uses a reliable wired phone or a vulnerable cordless phone.
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs
Don Phillipson wrote:

Both, so there are wired phones in the house. They're not idiots either, they know enough to t'shoot a house problem vs. telco problem. It used to be only a couple times a year that it'd go down but it is becoming more and more frequent as time goes by.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
dpb wrote:

And more importantly did she pick a cell carrier that actually has lots of battery and also generators on most all of their equipment?

It's called a car-charger. I bet she had one.

Back in the BAD old days before COMPETITION when only one telephone company was 'allowed' to operate in any one territory and land lines were almost the only form of technology available land lines were the ONLY RELIABLE means of phoning. Nowadays there are so many alternatives and providers.
The one and only telephone company would 'apply' for rates to whatever was the state/provincial or national authority that had given itself the authority to REGULATE the phone system; but increases were not always granted. There was great pressure on the telephone companies as a result to provide reliable service throughout their total territories.
An example: Some 55 years ago a hand crank magneto/battery telephone on a multi party line in an outlying rural area, provided you could get one, cost $1.67 per month. That included replacement phone batteries (which lasted several years) and an annual telephone book listing numbers. The manual switchboard service from an agent operator in someone's home in the community was generally very good; in one case a community was so satisfied that it petitioned to NOT have it's agency service replaced by dial!
There were numerous MEASURERMENTS of the telephone system which included 'Speed of Service' (Dial tone), 'Speed of Answer' (Operator answer within ten seconds),'Held Orders' (Customers waiting for phone service, and the reason!), 'Outages' (Phone service disrupted/ interrupted for more than 24 hours, and reason.), also priority was given to 'Out of service' (Customers with broken service). And overtime would often be granted to work to restore service if there was anyone in a home sick/needing medical attention/disabled etc.). Some of these were sent regularly to the regulatory authority, which was often staffed by people familiar with the telephone industry and/ or familiar with the REGULATIONS under which the phone company operated.
People often complained about the MONOPOLY that the telephone company had and exercised. By the same token the telephone company and it's employees were extremely conscious that they 'Were the only game in town' and stories are legendary about how telephone line staff and telephone operators would perform to maintain and restore service or get emergency calls through.
These days it is very different; there are many companies competing for the customer's dollar and a much wider range of services available; many of which were, at least at first, considered more trivial and therefore less essential than POTS (Plain Old Telephone Service). Nowadays, texting, inter-net access even viewing movies via a cell phone is considered normal/essential. There are many varieties of cost packaging and companies spend a much greater amount of time on selling/marketing etc. in order to get a share of the market.
Myself and members of my family have worked under both systems. The older monopoly and the newer competitive one. The emphasis today is on the bottom line. And customers are much more liable to be told "Well if you will live in Little Bottom Cove 45 miles from downtown behind two hills that block TV and cell phone signals (especially if digital!) you can't expect the reliability and grade of service as in an urban area! When there are more homes in your area, etc. etc. one of the competing companies may find it is worth their while to service your area more completely"!
This of course still doesn't take the onus off the providing company to make reliable any service they are providing but the emphasis is definitely different than in days of yore. And since many of the alternatives depend on batteries (which have to recharged and/or electrcity supply, in the name of economy not every small electronic site has a backup generator, the newer-electronic technology modes are INHERENTLY less reliable than the two bits of copper wire connected to a switching unit (itself, these days, probably electronic!) in a telephone exchange with large 8 to 24 hour reserve batteries and quite possibly also a back-up automatic start generator.
We gets what we pay for. Eh?
VERIZON FIOS is NOT reliable took them 2 MONTHS to get a network tech to find a bad router at the central office which effected EVERY FIOS customer in our area.
geez I HAD to call every day for 3 weeks and esclate to the verizon presidents office. tried to cancel no sir we stand behind our crap servioce with a contract with 300 buck cancel fee, doesnt matter if your phone isnt reliable.......
note to verizon contract up in october, I am canceling them:)
the problem was finally fixed, but it shouldnt take 2 months when every 12th incoming call is all noise

I have a web page that gets updated once a minute and Comcast was so bad that my logs were filling up every day with missed connections. I switched to DSL and I get less than one failed upload a week. Any kind of little storm had Comcast down a week or more. It really doesn't matter to me how much faster they are when they are up if they are down as much as they are.

Does she have POTS service or the new broadband deal?
My Embarq/Sprint/United Telephone service has NEVER been down in 25 years except for an hour or two when they were switching over the overhead wires to underground fiber backbone with underground feeds to the homes.
On Aug 5, 2:44pm, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Dunno about him, but my folks have Verizon POTS service, and it goes out about once a year. They call Verizon and they ALWAYS, without fail, threaten my mother that if they find the problem inside the house, that she will have to pay for the repairs. They don't inform, they THREATEN.
On Aug 5, 4:10pm, snipped-for-privacy@rochester.rr.com wrote:

make them put in one of those grey demarc boxes where the wire enters the house, that way they can say with 100% certainty that the failure is Not Their Problem by simply plugging a hard wired phone into the demarc with the line going into the house disconnected.
nate

Make sure you understand who owns the box. I had an phone line problem that turned out to have been caused by a bad connection in the box. The phone company said their lines were fine, and it was my problem. The box is theirs, but the guy testing the lines was not experienced or knowledgable enough to test the box itself. I ended up having to fix the phone companys problem to get my phones to work right.

There's a demarc box in the basement already.
When the phone goes out, they plug directly into the demarc box. STILL DEAD.
Tell Verizon that. They STILL THREATEN.
Oh but for the good old days of Ma Bell... At least when there was one big company, the government could regulate them and force them to provide a certain level of service. Now it's deregulated and these baby Bells have you over a barrel. There's no competition, no choice. Verizon owns ALL the wires in the ground in the area. You get phone from Verizon or you don't get a phone.

Possibly, but what would people be wining about if they did a truck roll and found fluffy had chewed a wire under the coffee table?
Their responsibility ends at the NID. On the few times I have had to call them (both for elderly relatives, two total times over 10 years) they were simply upfront about following troubleshooting. I informed them I had plugged a known good phone into the NID. They did a truck roll. They fixed the problem. One case was a leaky protector and the other was because of the overhead drop getting trashed by tree branches.
snipped-for-privacy@rochester.rr.com writes: | On Aug 5, 2:44pm, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:
| > wrote: | > Does she have POTS service or the new broadband deal? | | Dunno about him, but my folks have Verizon POTS service, and it goes | out about once a year. They call Verizon and they ALWAYS, without | fail, threaten my mother that if they find the problem inside the | house, that she will have to pay for the repairs. They don't inform, | they THREATEN.
Some years ago I was having an ongoing problem with a Verizon POTS line and always heard this same threat. After a few months I started responding that I would be happy to pay them *regardless* of where they found the problem if only they would fix it. They never sent anyone. (This problem had nothing to do with my inside wiring or even my local loop; it was a trunk issue and I suspect they knew it. Only when I went to the DPU was it finally fixed.)
On Aug 5, 2:44pm, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

POTS. There is no "new broadband deal" in their area.

You're lucky. My own experiences with Verizon (in two different states, and nowhere near where my parents live) were equally shitty.
nate
N8N, 8/5/2009,4:19:59 PM, wrote:

As a former Verizon FiOS employee who left on my own accord I can tell you there will continue to be shitty customer and technical service as long as they treat their employees as they do now. Morale is so low that no one wants to take accountability for any issues that require more than 11 minutes to fix. That's right, once you finally get through to the service center the call center representative must fix your problem in 11 minutes or get you off the phone any way they can. If somehow they can justify sending it to the network technician (Level 2) you better hope the first guy who picks up your trouble ticket doesn't just drop it back in the bucket or it'll go through many hands before someone decides to actually work on a difficult problem. God forbid you may actually need a field technician to come out. You must choose either 4-hour or 8-hour blocks of time for that service call. You better be watching the front door also because many of the servicemen will creep up to your door and lightly rap on it and then leave a NO_SHOW tag.
Verizon thinks good pay and good benefits make up for bad employee management and constant screaming of "GET THEM OFF THE PHONE!" Couple that with the worthless tools and training provided to the employees and you have a recipe for horrid service. As an employee and now former employee I would not purchase their FiOS service only because I know what happens behind the scenes when you have a problem. Their Verizon Wireless service is a tad better and essentially carries the company. The copper line service is on the way out and they are trying to sell it to whomever will take it.
N8N wrote:

Does she have Verizon FiOS service? If so she may have a problem with the ONT (Optical Network Terminal) attached to her house. It requires constant power and may be plugged into a switched outlet. Once her service has been set up and verified operational the chances of having a phone problem in the network is slim unless there are group outages.

This guy visited the CEO's home.
Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFdO9x8bjmg