Follow-up on HD sloppy door installation

HD sent out one of their customer care people from San Antonio (I'm in Austin) the local store expeditor (whatever that is) and the owner of R&F Installation.
They looked at the door and admitted it was loose but they only had to tighten the latch on the jam and tighten the hinge. So it wasn't too big of a deal. The biggest problem was the installer did not listening to me. The owner of R&F admitted that his installer has "communication problems" but also admitted qualified installers are hard to find.
I can't say I'm overly impressed with HD but you can tell they are serious about customer service. Good thing they have lots of competition. Next time I'll try Lowes. :-)

I'm glad your problem was resolved.
I'll suggest that next time you hire the installation person yourself. You might even consider a handyman like me.
The best way to find a good carpenter/handyman is to ask around. I get lots of referrals from the staff at my church.
--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement
on 6/20/2008 2:54 PM jthread said the following:

Lowes will probably send out the same local contractors as HD. :-)
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Next time try your local fire department. Most Fireman have side jobs they work on their days off. We have it here in DFW http://www.dffa.org/offdutyjobs.htm

The problem is that they think the right tool to adjust a door frame is an ax.
AZ Nomad posted for all of us...

Nope, halligan tool axes are for roofs
--
Tekkie - I approve this advertisement/statement/utterance.

on 6/20/2008 6:03 PM AZ Nomad said the following:

The 'Jaws of Life' work better on adjusting doors.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Also mail men, often start work early in the morning and done by noon in many areas.

Sure it was! Their "professionals" don't even know that hige screws should be tight. That is nothing less than Jack-ass. And look at all it cost them and others in time & money.

Translation: A hot-headed know it all who thinks he's a wizard and the rest of the world is a bunch of retards.

Of course, when you're giving them 10 bucks an hour and they gotta supply their own tools and vehicle. Probably net out less than McD worker.

Their time and money s OK with me

That's just about perfect.

So you like getting screwed so much you want to try a different position. Be sure to stock up on the KY, you'll need it. .
As I posted yesterday, the big box stores are some of the worst sources of installation, yet you persist in using them. Why? I just don't understand but I won't feel sorry for you the second time. I hope they at least give you an orgasm.
wrote in message

LOL. Well I did get it fixed so my strategy worked. I don't think finding my own contractor is 100% either.
But thanks for the advice. I could of done w/o the analogy. :-)

No, it's not guaranteed you'll get a good contractor even if you find him yourself. But you *will* be able to check him out beforehand. If you take the installer from the big-box store, it's a crap-shoot who they send.
--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement

He already paid in full by cash, hiring someone else would only cost extra, why not try to get what he paid for, if he re does it HD has no more liability to him.

We went to a local restaurant where the waitress dumped two large glasses of iced tea into my brother-in-law's lap. Waitress said she was sorry, but it didn't even bring out the manager from the back room. No free desert, nothing. Wrote an e mail to corporate. They said they were "sorry".
We wrote back saying we were "sorry", too, and that we would not eat there again, nor suggest it to anyone we knew or anyone who was visiting. No reply.
Like I said originally, HD sucks, and I let my feet do the talking. People who do business with them on special orders or installations deserve what they get. When it comes to anything but nuts or bolts or cow shit fertilizer, go to a real shop.
Steve

I don't shop much at all. But the HD is real close. I've been going to Wal-Mart to get a lot of everyday stuff like caulk because it's so much cheaper. But with utilities/gasoline getting so high our disposable income is shrinking fast. HD prices are getting ridicules for stuff like caulk and tape.

If you have a Big Lots near you check out their hardware/paint/tools area. Yea, a lot of it is pure junk. There are a few things I get there that are worth it.
Few examples
- Red Devil exterior 25 yr caulk - $1.00 ( use this stuff by the case) The WalMart Mainstays caulk is shit. Mostly water. Note how long before it says you can paint it.
- GE Silicone-1 caulks 2.50.
- 9x12 cloth dropcloths $10
- 1" masking tape 2 roll pk 2.00. Not the best masking tape but the perfect when you don't need the best.

HD and a door. Imagine them doing a kitchen. Good rule of thump for HD or any big box store if it's on the shelf there only a 50% chance it's screwed up. But if you special order something or have something installed by them your in trouble.