Flow control through 1/4 tubing?

I have some 1/4" OD flexible plastic tubing I wish to control water flow though. All I can think of offhand is two large flat washers with a nut and bolt straddling it and squashing the line between the washers to control the flow. Haven't tried this yet so don't know if it will work.
Any better ideas? It is out of sight so need not be pretty. Any suggestions?
TIA

On 07/22/2013 12:52 PM, KenK wrote:

More elegant - small ball valve with FPT ends, and hose barbs screwed into it?
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
KenK wrote:

Your on the right track, but if you want something more exotic:
Just get one of these clamp thingies:
http://tinyurl.com/kfchhvw
I remember using them to control air flow through home aquarium hoses 60+ years ago.
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Thanks much. Looks like just the thing! Wonder where I can find one or one like it locally - True Value? Lowes? Home Depot?

On Monday, July 22, 2013 1:32:18 PM UTC-4, KenK wrote:

Petsmart?
Laboratory supply house, or pet store. . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .

Thanks much. Looks like just the thing! Wonder where I can find one or one like it locally - True Value? Lowes? Home Depot?

No, they won't have it.
An aquarium store, or a pet store.
You never said if you wanted to turn the water on and off only or if you wanted to have adjustments in between.
If the first something like this is good
[ __ __[ ] ] ] ] (_)
If you squeeze it with the parts at the top, the two veritcal parts in the middle open up. The arms are crossed, which is why squeezing them doesn't close the middle. . The parentheses are a spring. The whole thing is about 2.5 inches long.

Adjustments.

On 7/22/2013 12:32 PM, KenK wrote:

Anywhere that sells pond pumps and tubing, so that should include Lowes and Home Depot.
On 7/22/2013 1:12 PM, jeff_wisnia wrote:

That's what we used when I worked in a lab.
KenK wrote:

What is the water pressure on the supply-side of the tube?

I have no idea. It's the 'bleeder' output of an evaporative cooler water pump. It bleeds off some water to the ground from the cooler reservoir as the pump runs to help control calcium buildup.

Got some thin, stiff plastic like a notebook or file cover?
1. snip off a piece about an inch wide & six inches long
2. fold in half the long way
3. punch a hole through both pieces near the end opposite the fold
4. slip one hole over the tube
5a. if you are working at the end of the tube, bend the tube in half and slip the free end into the other hole.
5b. if you are in the middle, make a cut in the unoccupied hole so you can slip the tubing into the hole after bending it
--

dadiOH
____________________________

Or, a wooden clothespin (spring type). Or a regular spring clamo.
--

dadiOH
____________________________

Interesting idea! Never thought of that.

For crude control, you can get shut off clamps from a chemistry lab place. Looks like a mini C clamp, but two flat surfaces.
Or, you can get an inline globe valve for water copper, from Home Depot. Compression fitting clamp onto two pieces of 1/8 water copper (which is 1/4 OD) and then slip the hose clamp over the copper. Couple spiral clamps to hold the hose onto the copper.
. Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
I have some 1/4" OD flexible plastic tubing I wish to control water flow
though. All I can think of offhand is two large flat washers with a nut and bolt straddling it and squashing the line between the washers to control
the flow. Haven't tried this yet so don't know if it will work.
Any better ideas? It is out of sight so need not be pretty. Any suggestions?
TIA

1/4 inch is a standard plumbing size, and you should be able to buy both ball valves and needle valves in 1/4 inch size 5 days a week in both threaded and compression fitting connections.
Open your yellow pages to Tube & Fittings and phone around to the companies listed there.
--
nestork