Flickering Ceiling Lights

Page 4 of 4
On 4/20/2014 8:25 AM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

I'll see that and raise this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKZUFu97vus&feature=player_embedded

Add pictures here
✖

are a signal unit - tandem I think is the term. I removed them, cleaned all the contacts and checked all the wiring connections and all are fine. After that, no flickering for a few weeks. Now it started again this week. Connections are still tight.

so it sounds to me like it's in the CB 1& 3 circuit. The ceiling light/fan in slot #8 doesn't flicker, nor do any lamps plugged into receptacles.

new CB?

Thanks Jason. I just now checked and all are snug. I'm thinking about moving the 2 ceiling light CB's over to the other hot bar and try to isolate it that way.
Add pictures here
✖

I like the way the yellow and orange picks up the copper color. It's very attractive.
Add pictures here
✖

Most of those "for-hire" home inspectors, that _buyers_ (fortunately :-) pay for, can't even find the right end of a flashlight.          ...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson | mens |
| Analog Innovations | et |

I should mention that you can also do it wrong without the electrical tape: <
http://inspectapedia.com/electric/LowVoltageGERelayBox020DFs.jpg
<http://inspectapedia.com/electric/Electrical_Inspector_Safety.htm
Hint: If you have an IR thermometer, use it to measure the temperature of your circuit breakers. I had a problem at a rental that I found that way. The breaker looked ok, but it wasn't. I've also used an IR thermometer to test the integrity of low voltage high current solar panel wiring and battery banks: <
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBAZ2UPheGQ
>I'll see that and raise this:

That's pretty bad. The #16awg(?) extension cord at the end is the best part. Looking at the garage, I would guess that it's new construction, probably added without the benefit of a building permit.
Many more of the same: <https://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&q ēd+electrical+wiring> Perhaps we have an epidemic of bad wiring?
Why the OP expected to find advice on electrical wiring in two electronics newsgroups will remain a mystery.
✖

are a signal unit - tandem I think is the term. I removed them, cleaned all the contacts and checked all the wiring connections and all are fine. After that, no flickering for a few weeks. Now it started again this week. Connections are still tight.

so it sounds to me like it's in the CB 1& 3 circuit. The ceiling light/fan in slot #8 doesn't flicker, nor do any lamps plugged into receptacles.

new CB?

Thanks, Ed. That sounds reasonable to me. I'll check it out. All the flickering is on Phase A lights & receptacles. They all flicker at the same time. I called the power company today and they will send someone out this week to check the line up to the CP panel.
Add pictures here
✖
On 4/21/2014 8:46 PM, Guv Bob wrote:

Bob,
With the flickering happening only on lights connected to phase A it is less likely to be a loose neutral connection.
Ed
Add pictures here
✖

I know what you're saying. If there is a more appropriate usenet group please let me know. The only other one I could find was "alt.trades.electrician" which has not been active since 2012.
It's hard to tell from the names which groups people hang around. I recently had some questions about an automobile computer/electrical issue. These 3 groups had a lot of good advice. Hardly anything from the auto and computer groups.
Add pictures here
✖
On Mon, 21 Apr 2014 16:46:48 -0800, "Guv Bob"

Might be on the pole. We had that problem years ago, 1 phase with a bad connection. Took a few tries before they cleaned and tightend the connection.
Cheers
Add pictures here
✖
On Mon, 21 Apr 2014 22:48:43 -0400, Martin Riddle

I had a bad neutral coming to the house. Furnace blower would fire up, half of the house lights would dim, half would brighten.
Called SRP, got lip from the receptionist, read her the riot act, serviceman there in 20 minutes >:-}
Installed temporary, above ground, neutral, came back and trenched and replace the whole feed.          ...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson | mens |
| Analog Innovations | et |

are a signal unit - tandem I think is the term. I removed them, cleaned all the contacts and checked all the wiring connections and all are fine. After that, no flickering for a few weeks. Now it started again this week. Connections are still tight.

difference, so it sounds to me like it's in the CB 1& 3 circuit. The ceiling light/fan in slot #8 doesn't flicker, nor do any lamps plugged into receptacles.

a new CB?

the flickering is on Phase A lights & receptacles. They all flicker at the same time. I called the power company today and they will send someone out this week to check the line up to the CP panel.

Hi Ed, you are absolutely right! Take a bow! LOL!!! The power company tech checked out the field connection and the connector on the phase connected to the left side, with the flickering circuits, was the problem. He replaced all three of them.
I'll post a couple of photos to the 2 binary groups.
Add pictures here
✖