Fixing a light and need some help

I have just purchased a 110V U ground plug end to repair a light (1 K). The old one did not have a ground so I went to get one that is up to code. There are three wires - green (ground), black and white (beige). I am not sure on which side to place the Black and Beige wires - on the plug it says 'insulated wire here'. But both the black and the beige are insulated, so I am not sure. Any help would be appreciated . Thanks

Reply to
johnsonholding

Look at the screws. One screw is probably silverish color, one is brass color and one is green.

The black wire goes on the brass screw, the white wire on the silverish screw, and the green on the green.

If you don't have a brass and silver screw, look at the outlet. The slot that is wider should match to the white wire. The green wire is the U-Ground.

Note that this assumes the light is wired correctly. Black=hot, white=neutral, green=ground. This assumption is NOT necessarily a given.

Reply to
Rich Greenberg

Reply to
newsman

Also, the ultimate goal for a light is to have the hot lead go to the center contact and the neutral to the threaded base- assuming its an incandescent lamp.

Dave

Reply to
spamTHISbrp