Fixing a crushed downspout

Is there a special tool or something to fix a crushed downspout? I ran it over with the car. I want to replace it with an extra piece I have but it needs to me tapered on one end so it will fit in the other piece.
TIA

Start by surrendering your drivers license to the nearest D.O.T office. You are not capable of handling a motor vehicle. Then call your homeowners insurance and tell them some idiot drove over your rain gutter. They will file a report. If you have a $100 deductible, the cost of a new rain gutter is less than $10. You will buy a new gutter out of your own pocket, and your insurance company will increase your yearly rates by the amount of difference. In this example, you will pay $10 for a new gutter, your insurance rate will increase $90 per year, every year. So, spread out over the next ten years, that gutter will cost you $900 on insurance increases, plus the cost of the gutter. A total of $910. This does not take into account the price you will be paying for cab fare to go to the store to buy the gutter, since you no longer have a drivers license. However, you can deduct the cost of gasoline, auto insurance, and car repairs, since you will no longer need any of them.
Of course there is another option. Simply go and buy a new gutter for $10, and spend the $900 on corrective driving classes, which you badly need. If, however, you DO continue to drive, please tell us your city, state, license plate number and the kind of car you drive. We all need to know to keep our children at least 100 yards away from your vehicle, and to not drive our own cars when you are behind the wheel.
On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 06:58:02 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@www.org wrote:

But the old gutter was painted green and the new gutter is white.
DenH wrote:

ran
piece.
There are special tools, they're not cheap, and you probably don't need one. The right thing to do is buy a new section of leader, cut it to size and paint it. Since you want to save the one you have, take a needlenose pliers, and twist the sides of the leader mouth. This will effectively shrink the circumference and allow it to fit into the next, unadulterated section. Make sure that the uphill section fits _into_ the downhill section, and not the other way around.

Snip the new piece down the sides about 2 inches or so. this will allow you to squeeze the end of the new piece to fit inside the existing piece. if it will not fit, snip all four sides and you should be able to make it fit.

Your local box store doubtless has in the HVAC section a special sort of pliers to crimp duct work so you can insert one end in the other. That tool will probably do the trick, but for a single use, I'd just fake it with the hand tools I've got: you know what you want the thing to look like, so hammer/cut/bend untill it's something like that. It's not the right tool for the job, but if you're running over the gutters more than once a decade, you've got more serious problems than I can help you with.
John
--
Remove the dead poet to e-mail, tho CC\'d posts are unwelcome.
Mean People Suck - It takes two devitations to get cool.
snipped-for-privacy@www.org wrote:

Thanks for the info, your a real genius!
On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 15:34:06 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@westnet.poe.com wrote:

Personally, I'd just duct tape the ends together and be done with it.
However, there is a way to re-inflate the crushed downspout. Use duct tape and tape one end shut. Fill the whole thing with gun powder. Insert a long fuse in the other end and tape that end shut very securely leaving the fuse hang out. Light the fuse and run like hell. Not only will the downspout re-inflate, it will probably be 10 times as big as it was originally, and blow up the whole neighborhood leaving a 300 foot deep crater. Once your home is blown apart, you wont need the downspout, but will need a large pump and at least 5000 feet of hose to pump the groundwater out of the remaining hole. An explosion of that magnitude will open up all the underground caverns and rivers and artesians. You will need to pump that water out faster than it ocmes into the hole. After pumping for 20 or 30 years, you should succeed in draining all the water and making every well in your state go dry. Then you can search the bottom of the hole for the other half of your downspout. Or, you can just leave the hole fill up, and you can have lakefront property to build your new home.
Wholey Geezis

Waste of $10. Why would they buy a new gutter, when they need a downspout?