Fix for garage door tear

One of the panels on my metal garage door has a small tear/rip on the inside edge. It is very visible on the inside of the garage, and is a little bit visible on the outside. The door came with the house when we bought it several years ago. The torsion spring broke and we're replacing it next week.
What are options for a temporary fix to keep the rip from spreading? Replacing the whole door would be really really hard to afford for me right now. Are there any websites with details on this type of repair?
Thanks, GP
I assume it's aluminum. Steel does not generally tear. Get a piece of aluminum, pop rivet it on, and paint to match the door, or paint the whole door. The patch should help secure the crack from further tearing. I'd apply silicone caulk behind the patch on the exterior to prevent freezing water in winter from pushing the patch off.
Or, you can use fiberglass autobody patching materials, but I think the riveted metal is much easier, cheaper, and probably will hold better.
You might also see if you can buy a replacement panel from the MFG.
Mark
On 1 Aug 2006 13:11:46 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Layers of Aluminum duct tape might work for tmporary. They are very sticky.
On 1 Aug 2006 13:11:46 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Bondo. Follow the directions on the can.