Severe Hot Weather & Pets

This is off topic, but we are all experiencing this severe heat spell, and many of us have pets.

Today we are finally getting over the heat spell, after almost a week of it. (Thank God).

Yesterday, one of my outdoor cats looked miserable and I was even thinking he was sick. He is one of 8 outdoor barn cats, and he is the one with the long hair. I gave him some hairball paste just to be safe, and then I hosed him off about 6 times during the worst part of the day. He was not too happy about the hosing, but it seemed to make him feel better, and in some ways, I almost think he liked it (as much as a cat will tolerate water). He never tried to claw me, just tried to run away.

He looks much better today, but I just noticed that he now has short hair. Apparently he shed out all his long hair during the heat spell, and most of it came out in one day (yesterday, which was the hottest day of all). He dont even look like the same cat. In fact I had to take a second look, because I almost thought he was a stray when I first saw him this morning.

It truely amazes me how animals can adapt to weather conditions and in such short time. In many ways it seems they do better than most of us people.

My horses on the other hand all looked miserable. I spent much of my time hosing them down, and they were drinking water almost as fast as I could fill their tanks. Even those that normally hate being hosed, soon adapted, and even enjoyed it. One pony that always has very long hair was the worst, and although I hated to do it, I shaved her. She looks rather odd now, but she feels much better.

Please, if you have pets or livestock, THEY NEED SPECIAL CARE IN THIS WEATHER. Yes, they do adapt (like the cat), but YOU need to help them too. Provide as much water as they will drink, keep them where they have shade, never leave them in a car or tightly sealed shed, and hose them if necessary. They might not appreciate the hose, but their life is in danger, and they will thank you in the end. One other thing. If you own horses, DO NOT RIDE THEM during this heat.

One other thing. Hearing the news about multiple power outages throughout the country, I filled with water every pail and tank I could find. No power means no water when I have a well. I wanted to have as much on hand as I could. I even filled the bathtub with cold water.

Mark

Reply to
maradcliff

Cliff,

No power does mean no water when you have a well. I keep more than a gallon of ice water in the fridge always. For long power outages the water in your hot water heater and holding tank are potable. Important to know in hurricane season.

Dave M.

Reply to
David Martel

I know what you mean, I have spent the past few days keeping my dog as comfortable as I can. I keep her close to the house and I even set up a misting system for her. As first she didn't like the mist and stayed out of it, but when we came back from the store today she was out laying in the mist. The misting is even keeping the patio area of my house much cooler and the kids of course love it. Sara's not an indoor dog and we only have A/C in a few rooms of the old homestead, I kinda sneak her in the family room now and again, we just lay around in the cool air watching TV, til my wife finds out that is.

Well sun's down and the lake is calling, time to get out the rods and drown a few worms!

Night all

Searcher

Reply to
Shopdog

I was pet sitting for a good friend, she has a lab, cyrus, an keeps a kids swimming pool for him to cool off in. I changed the water twice he does NOT like soaking in yuk water!

Our 4 dogs enjoy the air I leave at least one on even when we are out. we have window units:(

feel sorry for pets in this weather

Reply to
hallerb

You are correct, but having livestock, I go thru around 300 gallons per day just for them, and in the heat, that has doubled if not tripled. My only security is to keep filling their tanks all day long. In fact I just bought several automatic tank filler floats today because I am tired of running around with the hose. Now the tanks fill themselves as needed and I only have t check for leaks every day. The one problem with those things is the hoses get hot and I have had them burst in the past. And then, there's the one pony that knows how to turn on the spigot in the barn and flood the place. I learned to always shut off the water going to that one.

Mark

Reply to
maradcliff

Greg, your computer's clock is in serious need of adjustment.

Reply to
Larry Caldwell