fix broken PVC pipe

Page 1 of 2
The PVC pipe that drains our kitchen sink broke in two. Since there is no pressure on it, can an amatuer glue it back? If so, what kind of glue should be used?
On 7/30/2015 9:12 PM, Jan Philips wrote:

You use the glue made for PVC pipe. Any hardware store will have it. Usually, you cut out and replace the broken section.
Not being able to see exactly what is broken I can't tell you the best way but it is usually best to disconnect it at the drain fitting and replace what is needed. You may need couplings to splice in the piece.
You can probably find a Your Tube video showing how to work with PVC.

Cutting it is more involved than I believe I can do.
alt.home.repair:

In most cases you can cut it easily with a common hacksaw.
Nil wrote:

Youtube may show how to.
| >You use the glue made for PVC pipe. Any hardware store will have it. | >Usually, you cut out and replace the broken section. | | Cutting it is more involved than I believe I can do.
It's easy. Use a jigsaw or saber saw with a fine-tooth blade. All joints are first wiped with PVC cleaner, then lathered with adhesive. Then put them together quick and hold them in place for a few seconds. The rest is just a matter of getting the fittings you need. There are also repair joints that you can use when doing in-place repairs. Ask a clerk at Home Depot. It's really not a big deal. PVC is not expensive. And the glue is foolproof. It actually melts the 2 PVC pieces together.

Then go to the bank, get a loan for $10,000 (or more), and hire a plumber. Prepare to pay the $10K and possibly $25K, when he tells you you need to replace all the plumbing in your home.
Marsha
Jan Philips wrote:

If you try glue, wrap it with tape to reinforce joint. Cutting is not hard just use hacksaw blade.

Usually all the drain pipe under a sink uses compression connections right up to where it disappears in the wall. Just get the parts you need to put it back together.
In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 30 Jul 2015 21:26:59 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Compression. Sounds like it takes a lot of strength. Or air pressure.

Here is a dropbox link to a photo of the broken pipe:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ye5xyacv0crng5w/D15_5512.JPG?dl=0
Since there is no pressure on it, I'm holing for a simple fix that I can do with my limited abilities.

Don't you have a neighbor kid you haven't pissed off who might help you?

I didn't see the picture.
| I didn't see the picture. | I couldn't see it either. Dropbox is an odd site. A page that should have a simple image on it instead has a ludicrous pile of script. It seems that the dropboxusercontent.com links work while the dropbox .com links don't.
In any case, with this particular type of link I find that if you change d=0 to d=1 and reload, then the image will be offered as a download.
On Fri, 31 Jul 2015 08:40:20 -0400, "Mayayana"

Worked fine for me. Of course I use IE11.
In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 31 Jul 2015 10:28:33 -0500, Vic Smith

Worked for me too. XP and the latest version of Firefox.

Maybe the other guys are using Win98.
In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 31 Jul 2015 12:37:02 -0500, Vic Smith

Could be. There was a sale on that at Best Buy last week.
| Worked fine for me. Of course I use IE11. |
I wouldn't brag about using IE11, especially with script enabled. In the past couple of weeks you've been susceptible to several nasty bugs:
http://blog.vectranetworks.com/blog/microsoft-internet-explorer-11-zero-day
https://threatpost.com/four-zero-days-disclosed-in-internet-explorer/113911
To Microsoft's credit, they've already patched the Desktop version of IE11. That's unusually fast. But there's no reason to think you're not a sitting duck. In fact, it would be irrational not to think so.

Are you sure the pipe is broken ? It may have just slipped down. Unscrew the fitting at the top where the pipes are seperated and see if there is any pipe inside that is broken. If not, just slip the pipe back in and tighten the coupling nut.