fix broken PVC pipe

The PVC pipe that drains our kitchen sink broke in two. Since there is no pressure on it, can an amatuer glue it back? If so, what kind of glue should be used?

Reply to
Jan Philips

You use the glue made for PVC pipe. Any hardware store will have it. Usually, you cut out and replace the broken section.

Not being able to see exactly what is broken I can't tell you the best way but it is usually best to disconnect it at the drain fitting and replace what is needed. You may need couplings to splice in the piece.

You can probably find a Your Tube video showing how to work with PVC.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Usually all the drain pipe under a sink uses compression connections right up to where it disappears in the wall. Just get the parts you need to put it back together.

Reply to
gfretwell

Cutting it is more involved than I believe I can do.

Reply to
Jan Philips

On 30 Jul 2015, Jan Philips wrote in alt.home.repair:

In most cases you can cut it easily with a common hacksaw.

Reply to
Nil

| >You use the glue made for PVC pipe. Any hardware store will have it. | >Usually, you cut out and replace the broken section. | | Cutting it is more involved than I believe I can do.

It's easy. Use a jigsaw or saber saw with a fine-tooth blade. All joints are first wiped with PVC cleaner, then lathered with adhesive. Then put them together quick and hold them in place for a few seconds. The rest is just a matter of getting the fittings you need. There are also repair joints that you can use when doing in-place repairs. Ask a clerk at Home Depot. It's really not a big deal. PVC is not expensive. And the glue is foolproof. It actually melts the 2 PVC pieces together.

Reply to
Mayayana

Then go to the bank, get a loan for $10,000 (or more), and hire a plumber. Prepare to pay the $10K and possibly $25K, when he tells you you need to replace all the plumbing in your home.

Marsha

Reply to
MarshaMellow

Here is a dropbox link to a photo of the broken pipe:

Since there is no pressure on it, I'm holing for a simple fix that I can do with my limited abilities.

Reply to
Jan Philips

Don't you have a neighbor kid you haven't pissed off who might help you?

Reply to
taxed and spent

I didn't see the picture.

Reply to
gfretwell

Are you sure the pipe is broken ? It may have just slipped down. Unscrew the fitting at the top where the pipes are seperated and see if there is any pipe inside that is broken. If not, just slip the pipe back in and tighten the coupling nut.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Ralph is right, they could have cut the tail piece (the part that looks broken) too short and it might have slipped out of the compression fitting.

Reply to
bob_villa

Plastic pipe. Replace it. I have used plumbers goop on certain things, but not that connection.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

You hit the nail on the head - it is actually not broken. I unscrewed the connector, adjusted the rubber seal, and screwed it back. That was easy!

Thank you all for the helpful (and fast) replies?

Reply to
Jan Philips

If you try glue, wrap it with tape to reinforce joint. Cutting is not hard just use hacksaw blade.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Youtube may show how to.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Hi, If the pipe is not vertical, it may be under stress causing the brake. Or picture is showing the T joints in an angle? Is the other end of broken piece a sink?

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Compression. Sounds like it takes a lot of strength. Or air pressure.

Reply to
micky

A picture is worth a thousand words.

Hey, that's pretty clever. Maybe I should trademark it.

BTW, that's a compression fitting. that I sort of joked about in another post.

Reply to
micky

Now you had a good learning experience. Sing plumbing is all similar to that so if you have a problem in the future, you are better equipped to handle it. Plumber would have fixed it in five minutes and charged a minimum of $75 just to show up.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski