fitting for galv water pipe

I've just purchased an older home that has 1/2" galvanized water line coming through the foundation in the basement. It sticks in there about 14" before it elbows up. It has no main service valve. It is not physically feasible to cut this pipe back and re-thread it due to space limitations. My question is this. Is there such a thing as some sort of compression fitting that will work on 1/2" galv pipe? Or any other solution?
thanks,
--
Steve Barker

Yes.. GO TO HOME DEPOT

coming
before
feasible
fitting

What's the problem trying to solve? If it's wanting to put a service valve in and the pipe is solid (as in not rusted out), take the elbow off and use a coupling to extend it however far you need and then reroute it back in line w/ the existing line. Use a union for the final connection.
I'm trying to avoid having it stick out any more than it already is. Which is a ridiculous amount already.
--
Steve Barker

"dpb" < snipped-for-privacy@swko.net> wrote in message
Steve Barker wrote:

You could probably use a rubber fitting, (with screw type band) but eventually it would fail.
How much room do you have? If it sticks out enough to bother you, I would think you would have enough room to cut it off and thread it. You don't need much to cut the pipe off with a small hack saw. Also, you can get pipe thread tools that need only 8" or so of swing (one arm that you keep turning in the same direction via a ratchet mechanism).

How old is the pipe? Chances are, it will have to be replaced in the next few years anyway, so use copper or plastic and be done with it.