Fire Departments Suck on ladders.

I may not have written a treatise on the subject, but I don't think that at all.

However if they failed to save someone in more danger at the time, that would have been a scandal and not just an expense.

If they have to work overtime that week, yes. But if they worked 37 hours and because of the guy in the tree, they have to be in the air

40 hours, then it wouldn't cost more. I don't consider being in the air or doing other mandatory chores 37 hours in a week to be "sitting around all the time".

If they really spend every minute of their time in the air doing rescues etc. or on their way to do one, they should plan for busy days and buy another helicopter and hire another crew.

Although I wouldn't mind billing the guy something, but you can't make it so much that people will fall out of trees rather than call rescue.

We don't charge for the fire department to come, even though almost all fires are started by someone's, usually a resident's, stupid mistake. I think this was Benjamin Franklin's idea, and before him, there were profit-making fire departments, and they would come, and they would negotiate with the owner about how much he would pay them to put out the fire, while his building was burning down. Franklin didn't like this system.

(I found out that in NYS, if you hit those very big yellow or orange barrels at the fork at expresway exit ramps, they charge you for each barrel you damage and the sand inside. It was about 200 or 300 dollars each 25 years ago! That seems like a lot of money. I had assumed they were like party favors for bad drivers.

Again, I was trying to be brief, something readers here know comes as a challenge to me. I never said the whole PD, and even if the Coast Guard doesn't have departments, it has some subdivision, if only for accounting, that either includes helicopter operations, or rescue operations, or something like that. I don't think 10 thouasand will pay for the whole PD for that time, and what I meant was that if you take the annual budget, divide by the hours in the year and multiply by the hours it takes to do the rescue (3?),

then divide by the number of employees in the department or the number that deal with the public, and multiply by the number that were involved in the rescue, that might be how they calculate the cost.

Anyhow, I'm just going to think about Oren's approval of hamsterality now.

Reply to
mm

Thanks.

Recorded by Marvin and the Chipmunks:

"Whoa, whoa, wover and over, I tried to prove my love to you. Over and over, what more can I do? Oh, over and over and over, my friends say I'm a fool. But oh, oh, over and o'o'over, I'll be a fool for you.

'cause you've got, hamsterality, Walk, hamsterality Talk, hamsterality Charm and hamsterality Love and hamsterality

And yes you´ve got a great big heart So over and over, oh, I´ll be a fool to you Now over and over, what more can I do ?

Over and over, I said that I loved you Over and over, honey now it´s the truth Over and over, they still say I´m a fool But oh, oh, over and o'o'over, I´ll be a fool for you

(Also recorded by Lloyd Price)

Reply to
mm

"Harry K" wrote

Now, Harry. Don't confuse 'em by bringing in facts.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

I don't know, there is sorta Darwinian logic about letting them take a header doncha think?

On the other hand, they do often charge for non-fire emergencies. Chemical spills come to mind. Some other kinds of rescues.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

Still wasn't changed into let's just go ahead and barge on in immediately.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

And still doesn't change that it is still "policy" that must be followed. Has nothing to do with 'cowardice'.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

If there was another emergency, after they had left their base, it would not be a scandal (on their part), but a costly inconvenience to bring in another resource. That is both and expense and a hazard to life.

Regardless of the overtime, there is training that might not be completed on time, increasing the risk to life. We've already discussed the possibility that another emergency might occur while they are needlessly occupied. Any time that a rescue team is tied-up unnecessarily, there is a tangible cost to the community.

I think this case was blatant enough for a person of average intelligence to see that it is not among the situations that normally occur. This is a person with very poor judgment, but enough money to buy $2000 parrots. He can pay for his foolishness.

There are levels of stupidity. A person of average intelligence can easily, accidentally cause a fire. A person of average intelligence is extremely unlikely to do what this guy did.

Yeah, you should definitely stick with the one thing that you did OK with.

Luke

Reply to
Luke Howett Fitzhugh

Reply to
bigjim

must be from china and made from Bamboo

Reply to
Mike

It is from the Internet and made totally from nonsense.

Luke

Reply to
Luke Howett Fitzhugh

I was in your "hood" the other day, grabbing wire from the freeway lights on 95 (BFG). No ladder needed; behind the sound wall.

-- Oren

Oren