fire ants near the home

This fellow recommends gasoline, and fire to kill off fire ant hills. I wonder if alcohol drygas would do the same job? Gasoline tends to poison the soil.

The lawn grass might not grow back.

. Christopher A. Young Learn about Jesus

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Amdro works pretty well until the ants stop eating it but if it has not been used around you that will take decades. Next you will be going with Orthene.

Just be aware you might end up missing your fire ants. After I finally got rid of the fire ants, I got black ants taking their place that invaded the house. That was a war I am barely holding my own on. The fire ants stayed outside and kept the other ants at bay.

Reply to
gfretwell

I agree, there are things that are a lot worse than fire ants.

Reply to
gfretwell

Yep.

Even if it didn't a cup of gasoline isn't going to do more than kill a few hundred or thousand ants leaving many times that number. The surface nest is just a small part of the total structure - they can go down at least 10 feet - so those down deeper think the fire is just a warm day.

Here's a video of an excavation of an ant nest. Not fire ants but it gives an idea of how convoluted the nests can be.

dadiOH

I've used Amdro effectively but my neighbor used instant grits and I'll be damned if it didn't work.

Gasoline? Are you freaking crazy? Never mind.

Reply to
gonjah

Doesn't boric acid mixed with their food kill the colony?

If you're into 'green' approaches only, the peel of an orange will spritz when squeezed, held over an open flame will actually squirt a blow torch like flame for over 18 inches. That spritz is a natural insecticide that has residual killing power for a year. When we used to live in CA and had an orange tree, once a year we'd be forced to make a ton of orange juice in the kitchen - we NEVER had ants [also kills spiders] Then Mediterranean fruit fly threat came through and the powers that be stripped our tree, thus no crop that year, and yes within no time ANTS, bigtime! I don't think the orange peel spritz hurts pets either.

Not having access to oranges, I tried a new product from Raid, called Bug Barrier - that stuff works! Anything that crawls across that or touches it does not survive long. I don't know if it kills a colony or not, but seemed to. After two 2 liter bottles of soda exploded and an influx of ants went after the sweet liquid down inside the cabinet bases [unaccessible] and then spraying with Bug Barrier, never even saw another ant! I wonder if it does take out a colony.

Reply to
RobertMacy

I am not sure the boric acid actually kills all the ants but it certainly changes what they eat.

Around here I pretty much have the ants trained to only eat dead bugs. That is the truce we have worked out. I have no illusion that I can eliminate them.

Reply to
gfretwell

It does. It's a desiccant so they dry out and die. They think it's sugar and bring it to the queen.

I did a pretty good job in the other house. I'm working on it here.

Reply to
krw

Bait them with the dog food. They will stop eating it and that particular gang of ants will go away.

"Wood roach" sounds like the American cockroach, palmetto bug or whatever chamber of commerce name they come up with. They are not as tough to control as the Asians and Germans

Reply to
gfretwell

This is mixed as bait, using whatever I see them eating.

Reply to
gfretwell

That's the way to do it.

Reply to