finding named paint colors

Why is it so hard to identify paint colors where you know it's name (like siverstone or swamp water), but you don't know the manufacturer? If you don't have sample, you have to know who makes it to obtain it.
Many major paint makers have their color names not easily findable on the internet, whether thru google or combing thru their crippled/bloatware/java-riddled sites. Are there some text lists or easy searching approaches? tks

Home Depot, for one, has cross referenced colors for a number of manufacturers. For instance, when I asked for the equivalent of "eldorado tan", knowing it was Kelly Moore paint, they just looked up the mixing formula for that color, based on a Kelly Moore database, and whipped up the color. It was a good match. It may be more difficult if you know only the name, and don't know the maker, but I would guess that names like "swamp water" are unique....................
I read an interesting article about a lady whose full time job was to come with new names for paint colors for one of the major manufacturers. As trends change that same old blue teal might need a more modern sounding name. In other words, the color name has very little meaning even to the company that produced it.

jt wrote:

Because more than one manufacturer makes "vanilla coffee" and they are all different colors.

Names are created and dropped every year by the paint companies. Names are just a marketing tool, nothing more. If you want a specific color, take a sample to a paint store an have them scan it.