finding good people to work on my house ?

hello, I recently moved into a new state and dont know much about the area... Is there any recommended ways to find out (online or off-line) which ones are top rated and worthwhile and which ones are not?
For instance this spring, i'd like to have 25 tree stumps removed from my back yard... and during the summer, i'd like to get hardware flooring and maybe a fireplace installed.
The normal route I guess would be to ask my neighbors..but they dont seem to know much either.
any help would be great
john
I bet if you told the group where you lived, I.E. Town, you might get more responses.
--
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the
intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well

It isn't the good old days anymore. It is very difficult to find good people who won't screw you. The good ones are already hired possibly for years in advance. Be prepared to pay a premium for good service. Be equally prepared to eject an incompetent worker from your property without notice.
Since this forum is mostly about DIY, that is what I suggest to you. Aside from the fireplace, the projects you mention are within the ability of many homeowners and/or family members.

It isn't the good old days anymore and the horror stories abound. It is very difficult to find good people who won't screw you. The good ones are already hired possibly for years in advance. Be prepared to pay a premium for good service. Be equally prepared to eject an incompetent contractor or worker from your property without notice.
Since this group is mostly about DIY, that is what I suggest to you. Aside from the fireplace, the projects you mention are within the ability of many homeowners and/or family members. If you don't want to or cannot do it yourself then you are at the mercy of the contractors and their employess, nuf said.
john wrote:

1. No one is going to have as much incentive to do good work as you.
2. For 25 stumps, I would think you'd be ahead to rent/buy your own stump grinder. Or, more fun, dynamite the suckers.
3. Installing a hardwood floor is fairly straightforward. Study up on it to determine whether it fits with your skill level or inclination.

LOL! That was my first thought. Case of dynamite, box of caps, a couple of coils of safety fuse. Fire in the hole!
You'll get to know all of your neigbors in a hurry this way, as well.

lol...actually I already have the hole drilled down the center and the sides of the stumps. (to help make them die quicker..but its been 2 years and their still holding strong)
I've thought about the dynamite...but is it legal? Dont I have to have a permit or approval for something like that? my windows are only like 25 feet from the stumps...maybe its not such a good idea.
On Wed, 21 Mar 2007 17:06:39 -0500, "john"

See if there's an Angie's list in your area.
www.angieslist.com
There's a small fee to join, but I find it useful for finding contractors and service people.
HTH,
Paul
wrote: | | >hello, I recently moved into a new state and dont know much about the | >area... Is there any recommended ways to find out (online or off-line) | >which ones are top rated and worthwhile and which ones are not? | > | >For instance this spring, i'd like to have 25 tree stumps removed from my | >back yard... and during the summer, i'd like to get hardware flooring and | >maybe a fireplace installed. | > | >The normal route I guess would be to ask my neighbors..but they dont seem to | >know much either. | > | >any help would be great | > | >john | > | > | | See if there's an Angie's list in your area. | | www.angieslist.com | | There's a small fee to join, but I find it useful for finding | contractors and service people.
everyone on that list had to pay to be there. doesn't mean they are reputable. just like www.servicemagic.com I thought they were reputable until I hired a concrete co. and found the "junkies" in the hole junkin it up. Yes, I fired them immediately. good help IS hard to find.............still I look.
| | HTH, | | Paul |
<snip>

That's not how Angie's list works. Contractors and service people don't list themselves. The listings are all reports from Angie's list members (homeowners) about their experience with contractors and service people. They describe the work that was done, how it turned out, were there any issues, etc. Many list the price that was paid for the work.
It's not fool proof, and I suppose some unscrupulous contractors have joined just to enter false reports, but with a little healthy skepticism you can find good people using the list.
And no, I'm not affiliated. But I've used it for over a year now and have been happy with the people I've found using it.
PF
clipped

equally with that of the contractor in question. I would rather take recommendations from people whose judgement I trust (they know what/why a particular product or method was used), where I have seen the work.

Wait until you've lived there long enough to meet enough people you trust that either do the work or have someone they can recommend. Other then that it's a crap shoot with the odds loaded against you!
Good help is hard to find, and when you do find them they are very busy

| hello, I recently moved into a new state and dont know much about the | area... Is there any recommended ways to find out (online or off-line) | which ones are top rated and worthwhile and which ones are not? | | For instance this spring, i'd like to have 25 tree stumps removed from my | back yard... and during the summer, i'd like to get hardware flooring and | maybe a fireplace installed. | | The normal route I guess would be to ask my neighbors..but they dont seem to | know much either. | | any help would be great | | john |
Check craig's list, if there's one for your area. There's a heading for skilled trade. I find that useful, because you get more than just a name. Trust the ones who spend the time to make a nice ad that doesn't sound cookie cutter or too commercialized. If they put that much effort in the ad, perhaps they'll care that much about their work, too. josh
I use
www.servicemagic.com
and have been happy with the contractors I get to come quote my jobs.
Kevin

thanks Kev, im gonna give this a try. As soon as I submitted my application, someone called within 2 minutes.
| >I use | > | > www.servicemagic.com | > | > and have been happy with the contractors I get to come quote my jobs. | > | > Kevin | | | thanks Kev, im gonna give this a try. As soon as I submitted my | application, someone called within 2 minutes.
be careful..................they are desperate for work.
| |
On Wed, 21 Mar 2007 17:06:39 -0500, "john"

I like the BBB for listing of good trades people. Just my option.
tom @ www.FreelancingProjects.com
wrote: | | >hello, I recently moved into a new state and dont know much about the | >area... Is there any recommended ways to find out (online or off-line) | >which ones are top rated and worthwhile and which ones are not? | > | >For instance this spring, i'd like to have 25 tree stumps removed from my | >back yard... and during the summer, i'd like to get hardware flooring and | >maybe a fireplace installed. | > | >The normal route I guess would be to ask my neighbors..but they dont seem to | >know much either. | > | >any help would be great | > | >john | > | > | | | I like the BBB for listing of good trades people. Just my option.
anyone can pay a fee to be on the BBB not reputable every contractor that ever tried to screw me had a BBB sticker.
| | tom @ www.FreelancingProjects.com | |

I didn't say I like 'stickers', I look up for trades people listed, and read their reviews.
tom

On Wed, 21 Mar 2007 17:06:39 -0500, "john"

will be the local free weekly driveway papers. Contractors who advertise in them are almost exclusively very local and rely heavily on repeats and referrals for the bulk of their business.