Fence Posts - Cement or No Cement??

Page 3 of 3

It's really more about opportunity. The deer could easily jump into the garden if they really wanted in. But we live in a rural area with plenty of other options for them to munch on without having to jump a fence.
Sometimes they just have to develop a taste for a new plant. I planted several Golden Euonymus hedge plants. The deer walked around them for more than a year without so much as a nibble. Thinking I found a plant the deer would leave alone, I planted several more. Another year went by without an incident. Then on year three they tasted one, and proceded to chew off every leaf on every single plant. Since then they have eaten the leaves on every single plant as soon as they appear.

Put food out for your cat. They'll leave the corn alone. :)
Mom and her babies used to come up on our porch to feast on the cat food that was left in the bowl. Our cat died a few years ago so the raccoons moved on to better pickings.
Anthony Watson www.mountain-software.com/about.htm
On 4/24/2013 9:00 AM, HerHusband wrote:

Indeed...one garden patch here has only one row of 2-ft corrugated tin on edge and the deer don't even bother to hop over it...

They love daylily and moonflower blooms... :(

That only serves as an appetizer if there's corn they can get to ime w/ 'coons...
The best help I can do here to protect yard/garden areas is to keep waterers in the corrals on which is away from the house. It's access to water that is the magnet at least here in SW KS where it is at a premium...
On 4/22/2013 12:19 PM, MICHELLE H. wrote:

My 6' PT wooden fence along my property line around my inground pool were installed by a local fence company (permit required). Due to the frost line in my area, they were installed 4' into the ground. The only concrete they used was on the corner posts and the posts that supported gates. That was about 20 years ago. A few years ago I replaced the 'fabric' (the actual wooden fencing between the posts). I didn't have to move any of the posts. This was good for me because the setback for the fencing went from 6" in from the property line when it was first installed to 3' from the property line in the new building code, so I was 'grandfathered'.
--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

And if you replaced the posts one at a time you would still be grandfathered. Just don't make the mistake of removing the whole fence at once.
On Apr 23, 5:05 pm, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

in

0

.

at

nd

'.

All in all, the simplest solution to the whole problem would be to forget the garden. If you factor in all the problems, it may just not be worth it and buying produce at a local farmers market might make more sense.
I've had vegetable gardens mostly a long time ago when I was a kid. Attempts at growing more limited gardens here in NJ in more recent times, resulted in deer being a big problem. And as Michelle is finding out, the solutions aren't cheap or easy. Besides deer, here we have ground hogs that are a big problem. Then you have to fend off the insects, deal with disease, etc, and what you get is still a crap shoot. I've managed to grow some tomatoes and hot peppers, but the deer even mowed them down when they were still in the early stages. The one thing I have had success with is herbs, eg oregano, rosemary, sage.
You also have to factor in if you want an ugly chain link fence to look at 365 days a year, what it does to the look of the property, etc.

My

coons

I wonder about a 5' wooden fence though? I vaguely recall that a deer or other animals won't jump a fench they can't see through.
Harry K

Depends on the area. Some deer would have a problem looking over a 4' one.
Harry K