Fence post "transplant"

We are moving a fence and want to reclaim the posts, etc. When we pull them up, they will obviously still have the original concrete around the base. Would we need to have additional concrete when we "replant" them or can we just dig the hole, set them, and cover with dirt?

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

Just make sure they are plumb, facing the right direction, and make sure you tamp down the dirt firmly and regularly as you add it to the hole.

I hope you have the equipment/manpower to make this easier than it sounds. :) I'm almost breaking a sweat reading about it.

Reply to
mike

I am assuming this is a "for real" post.

Use a sledge to break the concrete off the post. 99 percent of the metal ones will be fine to re-use. You will have to use your judgment if wood ones are good enough.

No way would I plant either with additional concrete around them.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

Yes, but what kind of fence? Panels of pressure treated wood nailed to posts? Or wires strung along the posts and pulled tight at one end? Or lengths of horizontal wood inserted in holes in the posts? Or chain link fence?

You missed a post somewhere along the way. The OP clearly stated it was chain link fence in one of the posts.

Reply to
Colbyt

Yea, I did miss that somewhere. No, I'd be inclined to install new posts for chain link. If you know anyone with a tow truck get them to come pull the old posts up for you. Or if the concrete is far enough down dig a little dirt away and cut them off with a sawsall. Buy new posts.

Reply to
jamesgangnc