Fence Co leaving gaps in fence because posts are smaller

I had several 6 X 6 rotting posts in my fence. I called a Fence Co to fix the fence. They gave me an estimate that said "replace 4 6" X 6" pressure treated posts..."
The workers came out and replaced my posts, but the old posts were actually 6 inches wide. The new posts are 5 1/2 inches wide, leaving gaps in the f ence and can see into my neighbors yard. I called the owner and he said, t here are no 6 inch posts anymore, they are all 5 1/2 inches wide. I dont w ant gaps in my fence!
The workers did half the job then ran off to another job.
Don't you think the estimator should have told me the posts were going to b e smaller and there would be gaps? Is there a way to fix this problem?
The really irritation thing is that he wrote on the estimate "replace 6" X 6"." He didn't just call them 6 x 6.
What would you do?
On 09/15/2016 6:46 PM, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote: ...

Tack a filler on the sides and go on w/ life...

A 6 x 6 has not been 6 x 6 for decades. Put in a filler if you don't want to see your neighbors sunbathing nekkid.
Fence guy probably should have known if he actually measured rather than assumed.
On Thursday, September 15, 2016 at 5:50:46 PM UTC-7, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Thats gonna be a lot of filler to cover that gap. Is there a kind your recommend?

some 1"x2" pt strips
On 9/15/16 9:48 PM, Buddy G wrote:

Rip a picket and nail it on.
Jon
On 09/15/2016 10:48 PM, Buddy G wrote: ...

Only 1/4" if they centered them; 1/2" on one side if they placed the post at the edge of one...that one would be the one that would sorta' peeve me, btw...
Besides the other suggestions of how/what, if they're centered, a 1" quarter-round or other moulding could make a nice additional "feature"...in this case I'd go so far as to ask for the material cost from the contractor at least or probably first suggest they do it as a remedy.
On 09/16/2016 7:47 AM, dpb wrote: ...

1" was a typo 1/2" to 1" was intended as would be only about a 1/4" gap if centered...but do need large enough so some shrinkage/movement won't uncover a gap again later on...
On 09/16/2016 8:42 AM, dpb wrote:

BTW, if you do this yourself, only nail to the post, not both post and fence...

smaller and there would be gaps? Is there a way to fix this problem?

Tough call. If it's stockade I'd say you're being too picky. That's cheap, rough fencing and not really designed for privacy. If it's a nice, finished fence then maybe it should be touched up.
I wouldn't blame the fence company. It's awkward for them. That kind of trick is becoming common with suppliers. I just put in cedar posts for a railing yesterday that are only 3 1/4" square. A couple of weeks ago I bought a pre-hung steel door to replace an existing one. I only needed the slab, but the exact same size door is now 1/8" narrower than it used to be! 30" is not 30". It used to be about 29 7/8. now it's closer to 29 3/4.
You're talking about 1/4" gaps on top of the existing gaps for expansion? That doesn't sound like much. If it's stockade I might try moving a few of the pickets to even out the spacing. If it's a nice fence then maybe add something like a 1/4 round, as dpb suggested. But you can't really do that with unfinished stockade. Pine moldings would rot within a year if they have no finish.
On 09/15/2016 11:46 PM, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Either add strips to the fence panels to make them longer or add strips to make the 5-1/2" x 5-1/2" posts wider.
On Thursday, September 15, 2016 at 7:46:19 PM UTC-4, Buddy G wrote:

e treated posts..."

fence and can see into my neighbors yard. I called the owner and he said, there are no 6 inch posts anymore, they are all 5 1/2 inches wide. I dont want gaps in my fence!

When the estimate said "replace 4 6" X 6" pressure treated posts..." did the words "Replace with what?" ever come out of your mouth?
Buddy G posted for all of us...

Did you talk to the vendor about your concern? Maybe he could just use some left over material from another job and slap it alongside the posts...
--
Tekkie