Fence advice - posts next to house

I'm getting ready to build a fence around my property. Question - how do you go about putting posts next to a house? Do you just put it as close as you can, or do you put it in a foot or more away and just run wood from post to house? How is this customarily done?

you
Since most fences have gates, you may find the commonest solution is a gate butted tightly to the house and the first fence post one gate's width from it.
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Since there is almost always crap that is impossible to dig next to the foundation I have learned to stay about a foot away for wood fences and just extend the stringers past the post and to the house.
With chain link you have to dig within 4" of the house or you won't be able to close the gap.
Colbyt
It is also customary, and probably required by code, to put a barrier (often sheet metal) between your fence and the house to prevent insect damage.

you
On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 17:26:00 -0700, "Zootal"

My wood fence was put in by professionals with round 4" posts, and one is less than an inch from the wall of the house. At the other end it abuts a small fence put in by the builders, so it is 6 feet from the house.
Some of my townhouse neighbors have fences. I'll look at them if you want.
Zootal wrote:

You can do it either way. You probably want to leave at least a little gap between the house and post (like an inch or two) so that it doesn't trap moisture and you can get a paint brush in there when you paint the house. Often you can dig a post hole right next to the house with a hand clamshell type digger. If you have sprayed-on basement waterproofing on the outside foundation wall you might want to stay well away from it. If you put the last post a foot or so away from the house you can just stub stringers from it and put a couple last pickets out to the house. Again, not right up against it. All in all, if there is no other reason not to, putting the post close to the house is probably easier and better.

You may want to read this and it's sidebars. PT lumber and the fasteners used for it have changed in the past couple of years.
http://www.taunton.com/finehomebuilding/pages/h00127.asp
Al...