Fein tools?

Page 2 of 2
on 3/26/2009 10:22 AM (ET) Abby wrote the following:

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

How many windshields will that POS cut out?
on 3/30/2009 2:54 AM (ET) Ron wrote the following:

I don't know. I've never used any tool to cut out a windshield nor plan to do so. I'll take it to an auto glass shop if I need to cut out a windshield. Anyway, I was just pointing out the location of the HF tool for someone who was looking for it at HF. Apparently, it has been removed from the HF site, so it is a moot subject.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
on 3/30/2009 10:17 AM (ET) willshak wrote the following:

Sorry, I misspoke. It is still there.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

that tool in the early to mid 80's for windshield removal on cars like the Audi 5000 and the Ford Taruas. Windshields that couldn't be removed with the common cutout tool, the cold knife. Up until 2002 I was still using a "Fien knife". It wasn't until a couple of yrs ago that I saw it advertised as the "Multimaster". To this day I still have one in my tool collection that I paid over $400.00 for. HF sells some tools that are OK for limited use, but I guarantee you that "Multimaster" from HF is a POS that would probably break the first time that you used it.
Abby wrote:

Agreed that infomercials can be irritating. Some commercials too. But it might not be appropriate to paint the product with the stupidity of the marketing department.
Here's an interesting review and product testing of SHAMWOW! By Popular Mechanics magazine!
Spoiler: Shamwow actually works!
http://www.popularmechanics.com/blogs/home_journal_news/4309587.html
('Course I bought a set of 4 microfiber towels at HF for a couple of bucks...)

Though generally I'll say that one should always go somewhere other than HF for tools, the truth is every once in a while they have a great product.
Couple of years ago, I erected a large metal building. There was the need to drill many thousands of small holes. At just the right time HF sent me a flyer with a listing basically for the sized bit I needed, bag of 50 for about $10. I figured what the heck, I'd only loose $20 so I ordered two packs (that gave me 200 bits, since these were double ended!)
Well, the building is up. One pack is still unopened. The other pack is almost full. Some of the bits that I used when I first started are still being used now, the only ones that failed were ones that I broke! Some of the blasted best drill bits I've ever bought, and I paid a couple of pennies for each one. Heck, at this rate I'll die and still not have opened that second pack... (And I use a lot of drill bits, too.)
But, bottom line, usually one gets what one pays for. Buy cheap, get cheap. My HF Rayobi 18V drills... (Got to do the building too) were intended to last the project and be tossed at the end (I do have other, perhaps better ones but wanted two identical units to optimize battery usage). Both still work, though two of the battery packs are long dead. Good deal? Well, OK, but not great. But a Millwalkee (spelled wrong!) that I got at the same time, for twice as much lasted how long: half way though the construction. Burned out the motor. Replaced the motor. Burned it out again four days latter. Oops, not a good value!
PeterD wrote:

You raise a good point: Why are ALL drill bits not double-ended?
The fluted part is not as strong. Chucking up the fluted end risks breaking off. On the other hand, I could be totally mistaken.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

<bg> Many are, but of course there is the issue of length. The bits inquestion are specifically designed for drilling thinner stocks (such as sheet metal, what I use them for). The chuck must clamp on a smooth (or hexed) shank, not the cutting portions of the bit. Most chucks only have about a half inch of space behind the point where they clamp on teh bit, so the size is limited for that reason.

The Fein vibrating saw (like a Stryker cast saw) is a total waste of money if it is not variable speed. You will burn out the expansive blades and sanding pads at an alarming rate on most jobs, where the lower speed works well.

Fein tools have been reviewed in woodworking magazines and get good reviews.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Here's a comparison review of a number of oscillating tools. To the people that have used a Fein it comes as no surprise that it was considered the best of the bunch and worth the price. http://www.toolsnob.com/archives/2008/11/oscilating_tool_roundup.php#more