Feedback between CFL bulb and Touch Sensitive Lamp?

This post is not about using a CFL in a touch sensitive lamp, but about the two sharing the same room!
I recently installed a CFL bulb in a ceiling fixture of a bedroom that also has a touch sensitive 3 way lamp plugged into a wall outlet. The touch sensitive lamp was turned on while I replaced the ceiling bulb. As soon as I turned on the ceiling fixture at the wall switch both the CFL bulb and the touch lamp started freaking out - flickering strongly, the touch lamp cycled through its brightness levels. Within about 30 seconds the CFL went out and never came back on.
I've Googled to find information about what happened but couldn't find any information about using a CFL and a touch sensitive lamp in the same room. Is there something wrong with the wiring in the room? HAs anyone ever heard of anything like this before?
Dave
snipped-for-privacy@dodgeit.com wrote in

some CFLs radiate a lot of electronic noise. The lamp touch-sensor circuit may be very sensitive to it.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

in
Ah! Another source of RFI (Radio frequency interference)? While I always find these technological clashes somewaht humorous there is/are serious side/s to it.
Wondering if the FCC (Federal Communications Commission) in the USA and the equivalent agencies in other countries have standards for not radiating undue radio-noise. Beginning to suspect there are none or that those existing are not enforced. So some cheap lamps, say, are imported and don't meet any particular standards? nd hen it comes to something like that I don't think we can depend on ToysR'Us to recall like whenthey find lead paint on something?
Seems like in some circumstances we are getting smothered with extra technology which in turn interferes with existing services.
In Austria some time back a Civil Defense exercise had to cancelled because their power company was trying out digital Internet signals over it's power lines. Which were radiating at all sorts of frequencies interfering with ambulance radios, some times used to transmit patients vital signs while being ambulance transported! (e.g. DOA; cause of death = radio interference from .......????) Also local radio broadcasts to advise public of that exercise may have been interfered with? So it was cancelled; fortunately not the real thing, eh? I believe the power company was later enjoined (ordered) not to repeat the tests because the RFI problems caused could affect daily operations?
Quite apart from smart-touch lamps, that aren't so smart? All those digital signals and satellites TV feeds are going to goof up one of these days! (e.g. Sorry your brain scan is unresolved and must be repeated; two satellites were in conjunction and the resulting interference, just on our little patch of the planet, for just that period of time you were in the MRI makes it unreadable).
Scary eh?

On Sun, 28 Oct 2007 10:24:04 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@dodgeit.com wrote:

A touch lamp is a dimmer. You CAN NOT put a standard CFL on a dimmer. Thats what ruined it. As for the ceiling light causing the problems, I'd agree with the other replies. Yet, you CAN NOT put a CFL on any dimmer and you ruined the bulb doing so.
snipped-for-privacy@notmail.com wrote in wrote:

you didn't comprehend what he wrote; "I recently installed a CFL bulb in a ceiling fixture of a bedroom that also has a touch sensitive 3 way lamp plugged into a wall outlet.
He didn't have the CFL in the touch-lamp.
It's probably that the touch-lamp is overly sensitive to the EMI from the CFL. Those lamps are flaky at best,IMO.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

You can make your lamp into a touch on/off switch (I've done it).
http://www.touchandglow.com/product-p/f-1080.htm