faucet repair

I've got a two-handle kitchen faucet that I need to take apart (I think) to replace a washer. The fixture is attached underneath the countertop with these very large, plastic 'nuts' that don't take a wrench -- they've got these four ridges that radiate out and I think you're supposed to hand tighten and loosen, but I'm not strong enough to turn them. I tried a basin wrench but it doesn't grip right. Any ideas?
scott wrote:

All faucet repairs are done from on top; no need to remove the mounting nuts underneath.
Jim
Try one of those "wrenches" made with a loop of rubber like car fan belt. Get them at Sears and HD.

=That should be repairable from the top. However, when I replaced a faucet a few months ago I had to use my Dremel (with cutter blade) on those plastic nuts. =>
scott wrote:

pliers is what i would use.. or maybe two pair in unison??????

this is turtle.
Like Gini and Speed jim said from the top. i can totally rebuild a faucet set from the top and not take it out. You take them out when you want a new one and not to repair them.
The reason i spoke here . i just got finished with replacing Delta center shift type with a some off the wall brand two handle type with long high goose neck spout. If i'm going to have to replace them every 10 years or so anyway, with all brands. i will just buy the Mickey mouse brand and dump it every 10 years. I'm not looking forward to the next change. i think my plumber will do the next one.
TURTLE

new
so
it
=No need when the Dremel makes quick work of the change. Gini, (who found out, two days into the "1 hour job," that the Dremel can get those nuts off in seconds :-) =>

think)
faucet
center
This is Turtle.
A metal Recept saw , Hacksaw, and a 4.5" Grinder is my tool of choice. Now it does make a mess.
TURTLE
On 22 Dec 2003, Gini wrote:

Agreed, 101% (Please, nobody fall over dead!) If you buy smart when the midline stuff is on sale, the cost isn't all that bad, and plus there's no guarantee that the "fix" for the old one will be *just* replacing the cartridge.

To those not so blessed, a good Sawzall or hacksaw can do wonders from the *top*. Just pop off the handles and the cheap potmetal chrome-wannabe outer covering and you're left with a skelton of pipes. Hell sometimes (with the real cheap stuff, like Sterling) they're even plastic, but two good cuts above the sinktop and you can lift the thing right off. Then you can pull down the tops of the supply lines and have a lot more room to clean up the old crap.