Faucet re-seat tool

My house has a bath wash basin that is original to the 54 year old house. I think the faucet is a Gerber brand. I need to reseat the stem on the hot water side; new washers last only a few weeks.
The washers that work best are the convex type, not the flat ones. I have no experience with this, but it leads me to think that the seat may be cone shaped.
The reseat tools at Lowe's have flat grinder attachments only.
Are there cone shaped seat grinders, or is the flat grinder the correct shape to use for all lavatory faucets?
--
Tony Sivori
Due to spam, I\'m filtering all Google Groups posters.

I have not seen cone shaped seat reamers. Look at your seats carefully as many of the older quality faucets had removeable seats. If there is a square or hexagon opening in it, the seat likely screws out with the proper tool.
If you use the seat reamer, be really careful with it. Most do not align very well and it is fairly easy to cut the seat crooked or jagged. Take your time, make small cuts, check often and do not cut any more than necessary. A piece of sandpaper folded over the reamer or a dowel can be used for polishing the seat.
Don Young
On Sat, 25 Apr 2009 20:52:54 -0500, Don Young wrote:

Good tip about the dowel and sandpaper, I'll try it.
I figure the worst that will happen is that I might have to put in a new pedestal sink or vanity. I plan to do that eventually anyway.
--
Tony Sivori
Due to spam, I\'m filtering all Google Groups posters.
Tony Sivori wrote:

Hi, I'd just replace the seat instead of trying to ream it.
On Sat, 25 Apr 2009 21:44:42 -0700, Tony Hwang wrote:

The threads look old with some corrosion. I'm worried that they might not come out. So I'll try the six dollar reseat tool first. If that doest work, a new seat will be Plan B.
--
Tony Sivori
Due to spam, I\'m filtering all Google Groups posters.

no, you need to buy a whole new house

Damn...I hate when that happens.
od
On Sun, 26 Apr 2009 08:51:29 -0700, Lynn wrote:

Excellent.
While you're in a helpful mood (evidenced by taking your valuable time to reply to my post), how about sending me a large briefcase stuffed full of U.S. currency to finance the necessary purchase?