Faucet quality local vs online

SWMBO and I were told by a salesperson at a local plumbing supply house that, while they're happy to price-match other local dealers on Delta faucets, they won't match online prices because (supposedly) the Delta faucets sold by online retailers are a lower quality than those that they sell, even though the model numbers are the same.

Sounds like BS to me -- among other things, believing this means believing that Delta applies the exact same model number to two different products. I've spent enough of my career working in manufacturing environments to know how much of an inventory nightmare this would create.

Anyone care to comment on this?

Reply to
Doug Miller

Sounds wrong to me too. Just imagine having to replace a cartidge or something else down the line.

Reply to
FrozenNorth

I agree, if it is the same model number, it is the same. Just be careful if they are putting a suffix or prefix on that number. A lot of manufacturers will make a very similar, or exact same product with a different model number to be sold in big box stores or online that will not be attached to a MSRP. That is what allows the local counter stores to claim their product is somehow better. (true or not). Delta has a lifetime guarantee anyway and it is not really an issue where you get them. I have 2 in a bathroom that have been replaced twice because my nasty well water screws up the finish. I email them a picture and they FedEx me 2 new ones. They just sent me a new cartridge for the shower valve.

Reply to
gfretwell

Don't they have same warranty? Our house little over 20 years old all equipped with Delta Ceramic cartridges so far never had any trouble which came with life time warranty.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Doug-

I think you know the answer. What must a dealer do to get you to pay more for something? They are constantly faced with the problem of people wasting the salesperson's time to find the right product, and then ordering it on line. If you need to call on-line customer service, expect to spend time on hold!

Fred

Reply to
Fred McKenzie

Exactly.

However, *do* be sure the model numbers are EXACTLY the same! Not just "representative of the product". ("The actual item may differ from the item pictured...")

It is common practice with home electronics, bedding, etc. to supply very similar products (perhaps even IDENTICAL) to different retailers with the express purpose of preventing comparison shopping.

(Try buying a mattress set!)

Reply to
Don Y

Sounds like BS to me, mainly based on the inventory issue that you mentioned.

However, I have seen different store sells slightly different models from the same manufacturer so that price matching couldn't occur. Lowes and Home Depot used to (may still) do this with the InSinkErator line of garbage disposals. The models might vary by an 1/8 HP or have a different dB spec which meant they had a different model number. This slight variance could be found across the entire line, from the lowest priced unit to the top of their line. I guess that both stores sold enough units that InSinkErator was willing to produce 2 different, but very similar, product lines. It also prevented price wars which could have caused the stores to ask for discounts from InSinkErator. Everybody wins, except for the consumer.

But as you said, same model number, different product? I think not.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Those "lifetime warranty" companies may ask you to see your original receipt before they will honor their warranty. Make sure you have a good filing system.

Reply to
Molly Brown

Per Doug Miller:

This is probably not relevant, but it comes to mind:

Looooong time ago I bought two bathroom faucets from K-Mart - the kind with the push-pull cartridges because that is what they were using at the gym I was going to and I figured if they worked there....

Took one to the local plumbing supply outlet and asked the guy behind the counter what the diff was between this thing I bought at K-Mart and their brand (Delta) that cost an arm-and-a-leg more.

He looked at me, turned red, and shouted out "Delta is QUALITY, and this is SHIT!".... Other people in the facility stopped what they were doing and turned to look at us....

Well, now it's 35 years later and I have rebuilt the Delta faucet in our kitchen 4 or 5 times and replaced the spigot.

Last year, one of the "Shit" bathroom faucets was getting a little stiff, so I replaced the cartridge.... but did not really have to...

The finish on the Delta held up better though... the plating on one of the bathroom faucets is starting to bubble here-and-there.

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

Not true with Delta or Moen. Both have sent me parts or an entire replacement with nothing but an Emailed picture of the product and a description of the problem.

Reply to
gfretwell

Yes, it is BS. I've been told the same about power tools appliances, etc. . Ask exactly what is different. If you were an expert in your business and know your product, you'd know exactly what the difference is. No one has ever been able to give me specifics.

Over the years my job has taken me into many factories. I've seen the identical product go down the assembly line and labeled and packed into a different box and sold at different prices. Some are marked "reconditioned" so they can be sold at factory outlets at lower prices and not piss off regular sellers.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Probably not a fair comparisonm based on the frequency and types of usage. You use bathroom faucet probably *once* (turn it on, wash hands, turn it off) each time the bathroom gets used.

Kitchen faucet (at least here) see's almost continuous use throughout the day. E.g., I'll use it 6 or 8 times while preparing today's lunch. Then, probably just as many times afterwards (cleanup, etc.).

After that, fill the tea kettle. After that, wash out my "tea mug". etc.

Reply to
Don Y

Spme online sellers may be selling counterfeit delta product from off-shore. Otherwise it's BS.

Same with buying from a big box store. IF the part number is identical, it is the same product. However, often the part number is NOT identical. Same thing when buying computers A laptop may be the same MODEL at a big-box store as at a computer shop, and not be the same computer because it is a differnt part muber. The difference between different part numbers may indicate different hard drive size or speed, different ram, different video,and one may have a card reader while another doesn't, one may have HDMI out, the cameras may be different - or one may not have a camera, the sound system may be different, and even the screan may be different That's hpw a big box store may be able to advertize a certain brand and "model" of computer for way less thanyou can buy it from a real computer dtore or a VAR. (Often for less than the realer or VAR can buy the model they sell) HP may produce a particular configuration/model number specifically for Staples and Best Buy, while another configuration is only available through distribution to dealers and VARS. Same with DEL, ACER and Lenovo.

Same thing with TVs, to a lesser extent. One part number may be sold only through Costco and other big box stores, while another part number of the same model line is only sold through "authorized dealer chain" including stereo shops etc. Sometimes the only difference is the length of the warranty, which may also mean they went through less strenuous quality control - they MIGHT be every bit as good, but then again they might not. The manufacturer is only betting on one year instead of 3 - and when you call support for a problem, they know by the model number if it is a 1 year or 3 year warranty (anf by the serial number when it was produced) even if the warranty was never registered.

Reply to
clare

Generally those parts are the same - but you might have a higher quality finish on one part number than on another - but there WOULD be a difference in the "part number" even if it was the same "model".

Would make for a lot of confusion though if one had lifetime warranty and the other didn't for the cartridges - using the same parts. Non serialized stuff like faucets are different than serialized things like appliances, TVs and Computers - whre as I noted in an earlier post - there ARE often differences.

Reply to
clare

In the last four years, I have bought two Moen faucets online at Amazon. Bo th were open-box specials. For both I think I received exactly what was des cribed. The first faucet I bought was a two-handle high arc commercial fauc et, for my kitchen sink, that I loved within minutes of installing it. I ha d it for a year while my house was on the market. I was sorry to leave it.

I bought a condo subsequently. A couple of months ago I bought another non- commercial Moen kitchen faucet. I compared this second one with the same mo del # at Lowe's/Home Depot. I see no differences. The box looks the same, t oo. It works great.

Most of the faucets at Amazon have a buzillion reviews. This helps my confi dence in the product.

Reply to
honda.lioness