faucet holes for Corian countertop

We are getting a Corian countertop for the kitchen (actually one of the similar brands). When do we need to decide on the number of holes for the faucet - when we order it, or are they drilled after it is installed?
"Jan Philips" wrote in message
We are getting a Corian countertop for the kitchen (actually one of the similar brands). When do we need to decide on the number of holes for the faucet - when we order it, or are they drilled after it is installed?
I would ask the supplier. WW

The holes for the faucet are normally part of the sink itself and don't go thru the countertop itself. Go to a store which carries what you are buying and have a look-see.

That depends on the sink and I would say there is no normal. If anything, I would think that most new kitchen installs with Corian counters are being done with faucets that use holes in the countertop because that's how under-mount type sinks are installed.
And I would think that the holes for the faucets would most likely be done at the shop, because it's easier and quicker, but could be done later if there were some need for it. They have to do a cut-out for the specific sink and would seem natural that the faucet holes, if needed, would be done at the same time.
But, as someone else posted, why not just ask the supplier of the counter top?

Really? I guess they'll have throw all of these out.
http://sell.lulusoso.com/upload/20110522/Granite_countertop.jpg

But those are not kitchen countertops. Those are sink tops for a bathroom. They are not interchangeable.

That's your push back? Bathroom countertops vs. kitchen countertops?
The point was that the holes aren't "normally" part of the sink. They can most certainly go through the counter top.
This better?
http://homeguides.sfgate.com/cut-circles-corian-kitchen-top-faucet-30098.html

LOL. Don has a point, but by just raising the objection without acknowledging that you are correct on the essential point, which is that lots of kitchen countertops have holes for the faucets to mount, he just adds to the confusion of some.

I misread what was posted. I though it was about predrilled holes, versus holes drilled at the time of installation. Bathroom countertops are often predrilled. Kitchen counters are never predrilled, and are drilled at installation, if the faucet holes are not part of the sink.

Which just adds to the confusion because now it depends on what the meaning of "at time of installation" is. Are you saying that kitchen countertops are only drilled on-site, not at the shop?

I mean it loosely. Either at at the shop or in the home. It was a rush post, as I was heading out to go sailing. A better word would have been custom. All holes for faucets in kitchen counters are custom, and often they are not for bathroom sinks. As pictured.

One must be careful when using the word "never".
Scroll down this site to the 7th image:
http://www.oneprojectcloser.com/dupont-zodiaq-countertop-installation-review /
I'm sure that that is not a one off situation. When possible, pre-drilling in the controlled environment of the countertop cutting shop is probably the best choice.

I disagree with your use of the word "never".

Hmmmmm, ?????? Late trend is under mounted sinks.
On Thu, 18 Oct 2012 21:23:01 -0400, Jan Philips

I didn't mention that the sink is built in, of the same material.

Firstly, I wouldn't like Corian for my kitchen sink, but I don't know what you are really getting. We like our Silestone ...
Secondly, whether or not the sink is "built-in" is totally useless information. The holes for the faucet, soap dispenser, instant hotwater faucet, etc, etc, depend on your choice of faucet, etc, etc. Until you have decided that, your installer shouldn't install the countertop or sink.
--
Best regards
Han

He was here 3 days ago to measure to make the template. We have not picked the faucet yet, and I told him "2 hole". Since then we have looked and we may want to go with a 3-hole faucet. I'm wondering if that will be a problem.

Obviously that depends on the distance between the holes. And on any clearance away from the sink below required by the faucet. For our Silestone counter and stainless under counter sink, we chose a single hole Moen faucet 10 or so years ago, and have NOT regretted that one bit. It saved us valuable counterspace, and makes it easier to clean between faucet and backsplash.
This was our reasoning. Tastes vary, which makes for a diverse world - Hurrah!!
--
Best regards
Han

Jan Philips? Sounds Dutch, like me, although I've lived in the US since 1969.
--
Best regards
Han
On 10/18/2012 9:23 PM, Jan Philips wrote:

Might be interesting to browse the DuPont Corian site:
http://www2.dupont.com/Surfaces/en_US/products/corian/pr_corian_products.html
Not all of these solid surface products are identical. DuPont uses methacrylate based resin binders and I have seen others that use less stable polyesters.