Fancy foreign appliances

Thanks in advance for listening, just venting.

Tried to convince the wife a couple of years ago to go with a garden- variety GE, Whirlpool, whatever washing machine - but she had to have one of those expensive LG front-load direct-drive things.

They're OK until you have a problem and need a part. Then you wish your washer was a more common model.

Saw a small leak under the washer while in use, turned out to be a hole/tear in the corrugated hose connecting the bottom of the tub to the filter ahead of the drain and pump. OK, doesn't look too bad to replace. Surely one of the appliance parts stores in Phoenix will have one. Nope. Only 2 of that part in stock in the US, both in Atlanta. So here I sit with dirty clothes waiting for the part to ship - didn't want to pay an extra $30 for expedited shipping.

Guess it could be worse - could be waiting for the part to ship from Korea.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry

Welcome to the club of peole who have had problems with LG appliances. Their TV's are supposedly ok though.

Reply to
RickH

"RickH" wrote Jerry wrote: .................

== It seems LG has some kind of scam going on--Make the appliances *look* high end to get them out the door then make the consumer look like a total idiot when the crap fails. (Heh--and Jerry, don't even let her talk you into an Audi.)

Reply to
Gini

LG, of course is Lucky Goldstar. They did not fare well under the Goldstar name so they went upscale to LG. Guess they should have made a few more improvements. I do like my LG LCD monitor though. It's lasted four week so far :)

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I talked myself into an Audi (my second, in fact!), with zero regrets

110,000 miles later and going strong. They're good for some people, not for others (obviously not for you).
Reply to
KLS

"RickH" wrote

Welcome to the club of peole who have had problems with LG appliances. Their TV's are supposedly ok though.

When we bought this house 3 1/2 years ago, the appliance people tried to convince me that LG was a great idea.

I stuck with the Kenmore front loaders, and so far, not a lick of trouble.

On THE OTHER HAND... we bought a $500 Whirlpool Microwave / hood combo and it has been nothing but trouble and we are not hard on things. Bought a Whirlpool dishwasher too. Good features but the Maytag we had before, though it was harder to stack, did a better job of cleaning.

Reply to
Kate

LG, of course is Lucky Goldstar. They did not fare well under the Goldstar name so they went upscale to LG. Guess they should have made a few more improvements. I do like my LG LCD monitor though. It's lasted four week so far :)

LOL... good deal!

Reply to
Kate