Extra large junction box

My home has 10 junction boxes in the ceiling of the basement. The original electrician moved the panel box (circuit breakers) about 20 feet to the left and then ran short runs to the original wires and connected them at regular junction boxes.
I want to put 1 large junction box in the wall and make all of the connections in it.
Can anyone tell me the name of such a junction box and possibly recommend a source.
Thanks
JB

Hoffman, Circle W, Milburn come to mind.
Electrical wholesalers, and WW Grainer
If I understand you correctly, you have 10 different circuits in 10 junction boxes that were put there to allow the circuits to reach the new panel box installation. You want to put all 10 of those circuits into a single large junction box.
I seem to recall that you are not allowed to have mulitple circuits share the same junction box. Can anyone confirm or deny that?
You might be able to move these *boxes* into a single cabinet. (must have easy maintenance access to them though.) The trick is getting all the wires long enough. ;)
It's funny... I was just asking about doing something similar to that setup in another thread. I wanted to put a switch and receptacle on each of the circuits so that I could switch the circuit without switching the breaker.
--
be safe.
flip

not true
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Greg) writes:

hey... good to know.. i've been tracing out circuits in my basement using this assumption. I guess i'll have to reconsider my methods and watch the wires a bit closer. :(
Thanks!
--
be safe.
flip

You could go to your local sheet metal shop and they could make one for you to your exact specifications, even with a piano hinged cover if you like.
Home Depot handles some very large Carlon boxes. You will have to field punch the holes but a hole saw does a great job

Why bother? you can buy them most any where, at least any electrical supply will have them, and one hell of a lot cheaper than a sheet metal shop would charge! Plus the box should be UL listed, one made by a tin bender will probably make your insurance company nervous! Greg

Pretty sure the electrical inspector would in fact make a person tear it out and use a listed enclosure instead.
Although the last time I got into that can of worms we did get by with listed enclosure and a fabricated lid--a bit of a loophole that the inspector apparently noted and then let slide was his book said "listed enclosure with metal cover" or something to that effect......
== If the OP has time to hunt for a bargain then suggest he might consider looking here:
http://search.ebay.com/hoffman-enclosure_W0QQsokeywordredirectZ1QQfromZR8
--

SVL

I'd bet a lot of those circuits could have their final homeruns completely replaced, eliminating the need for most of the splices. Do any of those cables go for only a short distance before the 1st device on the circuit, like a basement light, or the furnace, a basement outlet?
As for the ones that disappear up to the 1st floor, a few might only feed an outlet directly above and they too can be easily replaced.
You may find you really only need a couple of regular 1900 boxes.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com
Go to an electrical supply house. Ask for a splice box or pull box. They will have an assortment of sizes such as 10" x 10" x 4" or 12" x 12" x 6", etc. Get one with knockouts in it already. What you need to do is figure out the number of conductors that will ultimately be in the box. Check the code book for the cubic inch requirements for the size conductors that you have. I think #12 requires 2.25 cubic inches per conductor, but I could be wrong as I don't have my book handy. Get a box that is a little bigger than what is required.
You made need a hole saw or knockout punch to make additional holes in the junction box. A 7/8" unibit will work also for half inch trade size.