Extending my steel prefab chimney

Hi all,

My house has a woodstove on the top floor, with the chimney running pretty much straight up through the roof. It was there when I bought it; the house has a peaked roof built ON TOP OF (!!) a flat roof, full of "pellet" insulation.

I just changed insurance companies, so they sent somebody around to inspect the woodstove. No problems, except that I need to have a chimney that extends 2' above the highest point within 10' of the chimney. I haven't gone up there to measure myself (March + Quebec = icy roof, sudden death), and I'm not sure how they figured that out, but I might be a bit short.

I don't want to reinstall the chimney, though... but everything looks like it's kind of set as is. I clean the chimney myself, so I've seen it up close several times (and I have no idea how he knew it was short, you have to stand at the side of the house Is there any way of just extending the top of the chimney? I figure I must be close to 2', if not actually there... I just need another 6" or so.

It's a steel prefab chimney. I'm not sure if it's insulated or triple-walled, but it's basically a thick exterior (about 12") with a

5" hole, IIRC, inside it.

- Matt

Reply to
matthewshepherd

CAn't promise but on the one I have it would only be a matter of buying another section, usually 2 or 3 ft and adding. Mine screws together...well, not really screws, it only goes about 1/8 of a turn to lock together. You would have to remove the top hood plus possibly a thin finish plate under that, add the section and replace what you took off.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Is there anyting within 10' of the chimney? He may be looking at the level of the chimney top nad the other portion and deeing them close to level or so. Or he may be looking at a seam where the chimney section is screwed on knowing that the typical pre-fab length is x feet.

Yeah, we all want another couple of inches. You can add a section or part of a section. When you do, take a photo with a tape measure so you have evidence of the size.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

insurance companies have got very fussy, I heard of someone who bougfht a home but HAD ro replace the sidewalks, uneven they were a trip hazard:(

Reply to
hallerb