Experiences with, opinions on "Shark Bite" pipe fittings?

Page 4 of 4

re: "It installed easily and is impossible to take apart"
Impossible to take apart due to your faulty installation or impossible to take apart because you don't know how to take them apart?
They come apart just about as easily as they go together by simply pressing in on the plastic ring. You can do it with any number of tools/items you have lying around the house or you can buy either one of the removal tools shown here:
http://www.cashacme.com/prod_sharkbite_push_fit_tools.php
The Removal Clip was about $3 at HD last time I looked.
Impossible to take apart due to your faulty installation or impossible to take apart because you don't know how to take them apart?
They come apart just about as easily as they go together by simply pressing in on the plastic ring. You can do it with any number of tools/items you have lying around the house or you can buy either one of the removal tools shown here:
http://www.cashacme.com/prod_sharkbite_push_fit_tools.php
The Removal Clip was about $3 at HD last time I looked.
reply: If one cannot remove a SharkBite fitting, they need to turn in their tool apron.
Steve

Nothing. Especially an item that was built to work on straight tubing that is used on "relatively" straight tubing. You would have done better with a compression fitting that crushes the "relative" out of there.
Steve
On Sun, 28 Nov 2010 16:47:08 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"

Stainless steel stands up to an awfull lot
On Sun, 28 Nov 2010 08:23:28 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03

The original poster doesn't say, but perhaps the distortion of the copper pipe was only evident on minute inspection. With soldering, little deformities don't make a difference for normal home pressures and reliability needs.

Most copper connectors would have failed on tubing with a slight curve and not quite round.
Steve

100% agreement from me. I have experienced problems with standard compression fittings in that same case.
Colbyt
On Sun, 28 Nov 2010 16:50:49 -0500, "Colbyt"

I've experienced failures of standard compression joints when the tubing was round and straight.

In those cases, you "expect" it to work. In cases of miscut or bent tubing, it's just a Hail Mary pass. I think actually that a lot of failures come from the cutting process, and that is crushing or malformation of the tube that comes from trying to cut it too fast.
Steve

I came home from installing 5 of them for the first time ever the day this thread started. Due to the fact they were in the middle of CPVC project they were not ready for a pressure test until Saturday. I was too lazy to work over the weekend. Today, Monday, 11-29, I pressurized the system no leaks in any of my glue joints or the sharkbites.
I used them to connect to the short runs of iron pipe inside the walls to the CPVC and to connect a frost free wall spigot so all of mine are IPS threads on one side and sharkbites on the other. They are also in the crawl space so minor leak will create minimal problems. No matter how bad they may turn out to be over time, I am utterly convinced they are a better choice then a cpvc/ips adaptor. Time will determine that. :)
I must admit that I have some minor concerns about the length of time they will last, but after extensive reading both here and via Google links I am not overly concerned. We have one failure mentioned in this thread. That was installed on a slightly curved pipe. Most of the problems mentioned other places involved PVC, poly, or another pipe. Sharkbites are not certified for use on any of those, so if you use them there you might expect a failure. They are certified for CPVC, copper and PEX only.
One last point. They are somewhat new in the US but I read somewhere that the actual system has close to 15 years of service behind it before its US introduction.
--
Colbyt