Evaporator coil - repair or replace??

Hi, I recently had my condensor unit and compressor changed when I bought my house. It was actually over 20 years old - any A/C guy that came to look at it was in disbelief. Anyway, the fan turns on and off pretty much at random (just like it did before I had anything replaced). My A/C guy said he believed it was an electrical problem (He thought the dampers were causing a problem). Anyway, his electrician/A/C buddy came over and said that the evaporator coil was extremely dirty and needed to be cleaned. He said this would stop the unit from freezing over and keep the fan going. He says this will also stop the severe leaks I am having from under the coil (I guess the pan?). His price to clean the coil is $575. I have seen new coils for less than that - only problem is that I don't know how to install it. I am very handy and can do anything at home if I can find the right book. Home Depot sells books that get me through any project I tackle. They dont sell a book that shows how to clean or change an indoor evaporator coil. Does anyone know a good book? Also, how does the electricians story sound, and is his price OK? I live in New York City where prices are high, but just want to check. Any help would be greatly appreciated - we are melting and my wife is on bedrest (first pregnancy). Thank you.

Reply to
loujr1977

First, it's not clear what exactly went on here. You say you recently had the condensor/compressor unit replaced on a 20+ year old system. That makes no sense and I would seriously question the competence of any AC company that would do that, instead of replace the entire AC/furnace system. Did they not recommend that? Did you get other quotes? Did the system work properly when they were done and before you paid them in full? Another key to their incompetence is that they have to call in an electician, who then tells you the evaporator is dirty and freezing?

Second, it's not clear what you mean by saying the fan turns on and off randomly. Does it cool or not? If it were me, I'd get another company in who you have checked out and believe to be honest and competent. See what they tell you. Then it might be time to do whatever it takes to fix it right, then take the previous company to small claims if they won't refund an appropriate amount.

Finally, $575 sounds high to clean evaporator coils, even in NYC. However, we don't know all the details as to how accessible it is, etc. In any case, you need a solution to the total problem, not going with an electrician who proposes to clean your coils.

Reply to
trader4

Refrigeration must be done by a license technician to handle the Freon. This is not a DIY job.

Cleaning the coil can be done for much less than you were quoted in most places (I don't know about NYC). Shop around and find someone competent. Call a couple of places and just ask them how much to clean the coil.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Thank you for responding. The A/C guy recommended entire replacement which I told him I could not afford. He said changing the outdoor components may or may not fix the problem but in either case, that I should change the outdoor components and take it from there. The system still did not work right even when he first finished, but he said he could find the problem when I was ready. He said he suspected the problem to be either the dampers or the EWC Ultra Zone Control board. In either case, the system does not cool my house in the least. It will not even bring the temperature down one degree. I can have the thermostat set to 70 degrees while the actual temp is much higher, and the fan will turn off anyway. It runs anywhere from 5 to

10 minutes and shuts off. It will not cool off the house. Thanks again.
Reply to
loujr1977