Wiring Cost

I live in Nashville, Tennessee and am wanting to build a room addition onto my home. But the wattage that is currently in the home will not suffice. I will need more wattage. How much does it cost to get additional wattage in my home.

Reply to
0727lemp

Assuming this is not a troll, consider:

Very few folks on this group liev in Nashville.

No one on this group lives in your house.

No one on this group knows how much "wattage" your house currently ( pun intended ) has.

No one on this goup knows how big your proposed addition is going to be.

No one on this group can answer your questions as you asked.

Call 5 different electricians in your area, get 5 bids. In getting bids, give them a detailed written list of what ou have and what you want, so that they are all bidding on the same job.

Let them all know that there ill be multiple bidders, and that they are in competition.

It seems pretty clear from your initial post that for you, this is not a DIY project.

Reply to
jJim McLaughlin

$2655

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Put in writing for the electrician how much wattage you need might not get you the best price.

If you have space in your panel for another single pole breaker and you are not going to run a window AC unit, you should have enough wattage for the extra room. You probably have enough room even if you are going to add an AC unit.

BTW the correct value you are considering is the amperage not wattage.

Reply to
Terry

Ed, you're out of your mind. This is Nashville, it can't be more than $2575

Reply to
RBM

Wow, in my area it's $3800! Must be something about the big city wages......

Reply to
Jackson

Lets get real ONLY upgrade to 200 amp service which will likely require a new main breaker cabinet, new service drop and new meter can along with new main grounding

Reply to
hallerb

Haller, let me clear something up for you. a "service drop" is usually referring to the overhead line from the pole to the house, owned by the utility company, which they upgrade if and when they deem necessary. The service entrance conductors are the ones on the house owned by the customer

Lets get real ONLY upgrade to 200 amp service which will likely require a new main breaker cabinet, new service drop and new meter can along with new main grounding

Reply to
RBM

Okay all kidding aside, I imagine your house probably has 100 amp service right now.

If you need to bring that up to a 200 amp service plan on spending at least $2000.

Reply to
greg6755

65 cents per watt. with a minimum of $1000, and a $10,000 surcharge for heavy lifting if I have to put more than 10,000 watts on my truck. Local fees may apply. Wattboxes and wattwatchers will be the responsibility of the consumer if local codes require their use.

DISCLAIMER: The information contained in this post does not have more than a superficial resemblance to reality. Not approved for human consumption. Some bits have 100% recycled electron content.

Reply to
Harry

Or about $350 if you do the work yourself.

Reply to
HeyBub

the new supply line, meter can, and breaker box may exceed that let alone working with the live power lines

Reply to
hallerb

In some towns in my area, the permit and inspection fees alone can run as much as $200 for a service upgrade

Reply to
RBM

I'll do it for $2654. plus travel

Reply to
Jesse

What you may need is a larger main or (slightly less favorable) a subpanel. A panel is about $100, wiring $100, labor $500. Get 3-5 estimates with references and written proof of insurance/bonded, years of experience. You'll find that pricing can greatly vary and many workers can't produce written proof of insurance. Don't risk an electrical fire.

Reply to
Phisherman

I had my service upgraded to 100A, had an outside light put in (I supplied the fixture) , had two receptacles added, had a light switch made into a 3 way and labor and material was only $200. This was all done by a licensed electrician.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Watt????

Reply to