Estimating volume of construction debris

Hello,

I'm going to be stripping my house of wood sidewall shingles, and I'm trying to estimate the size of dumpster or debris box I'll need. I know what the volume of the new replacement shingles will be, but those are packed very tightly in cartons with almost no wasted space. What sort of multiplication factor should I use to estimate the volume that the shingles would take up loose in a dumpster?

Thanks, Wayne

P.S. For specifics, at the moment I need to remove 300 square feet of

18" cedar shingles installed with a 4.25" exposure. A box of new shingles covers 30 square feet at that exposure and is about 0.10 cubic yards in volume. So the replacement shingles, tightly packed, will be about 1.0 cubic yards. What will the volume of the torn-off shingles be?
Reply to
Wayne Whitney

double it at least, it largely depends on how well you pack the dumpster....plus tar paper, plus new shingle wrapping, the bigger the dumpster the better the price.

another issue is how long you have the dumpster, every week costs more...

how fast can you and ??? do the job

Reply to
hallerb

For a job that small I would just feed them through the normal trash for a few weeks.

That is nothing more than a full size PU truck load.

Are you sure you want a dumpster for the hood to fill for you?

Reply to
Colbyt

Well, my normal trash is a 20 gallon can, which is about 0.1 yards. 2 yards of waste is way too much for that.

Yeah, I could rent one for a few hours. I was hoping I could get a one-time delivery of a front load bin (1-6 yards with wheels), instead of a 12 yard debris box, but that doesn't seem possible.

Cheers, Wayne

Reply to
Wayne Whitney

Are you not a normal American? 1-20 gallon can per week?

Reply to
Colbyt