eReader options

Hmmm... I've never considered that! Most of the documents that I'm converting *from* some ebook format (*to* PDF's) would have already lost/forfeit any notion of the original page numbers.
I think most ebook formats are like HTML in the sense that they concentrate on *content*, not *form*.
Maybe I'll try converting a PDF (with VISIBLE page numbers) into a MOBI/EPUB/etc. and then back again to gauge how things "move" in the process.
On 1/14/2016 3:33 PM, Don Y wrote:

"Once a document is available" is NOT the first step in the process and I don't have a resident guru. :)

dunno if they usually renumber ebook pages or not (and a lot of books have more that one print edition) but here's a comparison of pages for one book.
You mentioned in an earlier post: "For example, a recent read (for me) was _Snow Crash_ -- just under 500pp in an ~8x10" format."
I have an epub file of that book - from the cover illustration & other info in the epub file I'm guessing it's based on the "Bantam Spectra trade paperback reissue / September 2003".
lessee. . . rats - didn't find that paperback version online but. .. <https://books.google.com/books/about/Snow_Crash.html?id=RMd3GpIFxcUC shows "Bibliographic information" "Length    480 pages"
Looking at the epub file (on one of my Nooks) it says 463 pages which is not a lot different from 480 or your ~ 500 page count.
Susan--
On 1/14/2016 5:08 PM, Susan Bugher wrote:

<grin> One of the essential criteria *if* you want to have a "snappy comeback" for the times she grumbles about all the bits of technology around the house! ("Yeah, but *you* never have computer problems like all your friends!")

So, *that* page count seems to correlate. Still uncertain as to the meaning of IdleHands' count (not that it matters).
Time for the second bake - before they get too hard!
Susan Bugher wrote:

lot. About one book a week, Kobo, Kindle or on iPAD. Local library does not have books I am interested.

http://www.gutenberg.org/
--
Usenet Reader for Android
http://android.newsgroupstats.hk
On 01/13/2016 12:17 PM, Don Y wrote:

I've got an older Kindle Keyboard:
(Amazon.com product link shortened)
which is equivalent to the current Paperwhite
(Amazon.com product link shortened)
I've been very happy with it. You can either buy from Amazon or sideload via the USB port. Many of the Amazon books are free or very inexpensive if you're not into the NYT best sellers.
Calibre can convert from a number of formats to the mobi format. Instructions for sideloading are here;
http://www.ebookpartnership.com/help-faq/open-mobi-file-kindle/
The way our library works is the eBooks are actually received from Amazon.
Some models are 3G. The 'special offers' are very non-intrusive. Basically you get a varying selection of ads when the device is turned off, not some popup every time you turn the page.
The Kindle app is available for tablets and PCs also as well as the hardware Kindles. If you're connected (3G or WiFi) your material is synched; read to page 103 on the Kindle at home, and when you go to that book on a PC at work, you'll be on 103.
Battery life is excellent as long as the WiFi is turned off. A charge lasts several weeks instead of several hours with a tablet. While I still like paper, the Kindle experience is almost as good and if you're traveling it beats a heavy bag full of books.
One nice feature is the dictionary. It comes with an english dictionary but I purchased a German to English dictionary. Put the cursor over an unfamiliar word and it pops up a definition most of the time. German being German, some of the compound words or verb forms don't work smoothly.
On 1/13/2016 8:14 PM, rbowman wrote:

I'm not sure if the titles she reads are strictly on the NYT best seller list but they are most definitely "new issues". We can't, for example, get a title issued in the past 12 months through interlibrary loan (if our library doesn't have the title). So, you're pretty much stuck waiting for them to buy some copies -- and *hoping* they do!

Yes, I think at least some of the "etitles", here, come direct from Amazon. Some sort of hybrid personal+library account; so it's not *just* the library that is acquiring it.

(sigh)
"This toilet paper brought to you by..."

Then, the document and state are stored in the cloud?
She typically just reads at home. I.e., if the library would *loan* a device preloaded with the book she wants she'd be happy. (well, more happy than if she had to find a device to start with; less happy than if they just gave her a *book*!)

Different experience, of course. You're not really "interacting" with an ebook.

When I (used to!) travel, I would buy/take a single novel (~500pp) for the trip. The ~2+ hour wait in the outgoing airport plus the ~2+ hour wait in the returning airport would be just enough time to finish it. A pad and paper for the actual plane ride(s) -- reading on a plane is too sedate for my preference.

Holdsemfromfloppen?
Hmmm... a *regular* dictionary may be helpful for her. When she opts to read things that get a bit technical, I get lots of, "Don, what does..." queries.
(sigh) I'll have to put something in her hands and see how she likes it. Despite having moved my leisure and technical libraries onto "media", I still gravitate towards titles that I can "hold" in my hands -- esp leisure reading.
[We have a fair number of used book stores, here. And, the public library has frequent sales of discarded/donated titles. So, I can often find something there for $1/title. Or, $5/bag! Then, donate it *back* when done.]
On 01/14/2016 06:22 AM, Don Y wrote:

I know the feeling... This library buys quite a few new books but they, properly I suppose, cater to the taste of the clientele. Several times I've went looking for more classic titles that I know they had only to find they were sold off to make room for more vampires.
New titles are cheaper in ebooks than paper. Amazon did a good job of price busting; the publishers were not happy.
What I particularly enjoy is the number of obscure books that are available in electronic format.

The ads are mostly for book titles. iirc the 'special offers' model was $30 or so cheaper and I'm not bothered by something that goes away when I turn the device on. epaper is like an etch-a-sketch -- the display doesn't go off with the power.

Yes. If you delete a book from the device it still remains 'archived' in the cloud and can be retrieved. I should do some deleting. One weakness I've found with the model I have is the lack of an effective way to organize the titles. Basically, the last accessed is first on the list.
On 1/14/2016 8:22 AM, rbowman wrote:

Our library disposes of a LOT of titles! And, it appears to be a somewhat arbitrary choice. E.g., I'm friendly with the head librarian at one of the branches. One day, while chatting with her as she "checked in" titles, I saw her separating the books into two piles.
I questioned her as to why the distinction: "Oh, those haven't seen much recent readership so they'll go in the discards pile..."
WTF? But, someone just read it! Else you wouldn't be checking it back in! And, there's lots of empty space on the shelves (in this branch).
Yet, they want another bond issue to buy MORE books, etc.

I'm not keen on yet another agency/entity tracking my "interests". The local library opted NOT to comply with the request to track borrowing patterns (though you know something can surreptitiously be doing that). Recently, the outsourced their handling of the catalog, reservations, etc. to a canadian firm. No mention of any privacy guarantees.
So, I responded by severely reducing my patronage. And, voting AGAINST the recent bond issue (which failed by a 3:2 margin). I guess other folks are unhappy with their policies as well!

<frown> I keep all my "software" (movies, music, books, etc.) on a set of distributed mirrored volumes. This lets me impose any sort of structure to it that seems appropriate.
E.g., I can sort music based on artist, books based on genre, etc. "Where" a title resides (in the filesystem hierarchy) tells me what *I* want to know about it. (It's easier to manipulate a filesystem structure than it is to manipulate *tags* inside individual files).
I'm not keen on relying on something else to "store" *my* stuff. And, having to maintain a connection to that other entity just to access *my* stuff! Nothing to stop them from charging an "access fee" or "maintenance fee", etc.
On 1/14/2016 10:35 AM, Don Y wrote:
<SNIP>

<SNIP> <http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304870304577490950051438304 Your E-Book Is Reading You
<http://the-digital-reader.com/2014/10/06/adobe-spying-users-collecting-data-ebook-libraries There are ways to avoid the spying.
Susan

On 1/14/2016 11:50 AM, Susan Bugher wrote:

https://apprenticealf.wordpress.com/2011/01/17/frequently-asked-questions-about-the-drm-removal-tools/
Susan

On 1/14/2016 9:50 AM, Susan Bugher wrote:

You can never avoid the fact that you downloaded the book. Nor can you control what any *app* reports back to "Mother".
One advantage of print libraries is you can take a book off a shelf, walk to a comfortable chair in a corner and *read* it -- without any record of this activity (including your *visit*!)
We're extremely wary of letting technology into our home *if* it has a way of talking to the outside world -- by any means (i.e., no Windows 10, here!).
If I want to listen to a song 300 times, it's none of your business. I may *love* it. Or, may simply be out of the room and the player is on endless "repeat".
Big Data can't tell anything from that one event. But, if they can compile results from, say, 100M people and correlate that with some *other* observations, they can draw some pretty astute conclusions -- without understanding *why* there is a correlation!
[Insert story of teen's dad outraged that Target was sending his daughter coupons for discounts on baby products: "Maybe you should ask your DAUGHTER if there's something she's not telling you before you get irate!" :> ]
In the 21st century, *people* will be the products that are marketed to *vendors*. Expect your TV to tattle on your viewing preferences, which commercials you sit through/channel surf/take bathroom breaks. Expect your refrigerator to notice what you're eating -- and what times of day!
[*I* can tell you when you pee/crap/shower/sleep/eat/recreate/etc]
On 01/14/2016 11:41 AM, Don Y wrote:

At this point in my life it doesn't make too much difference. I've got the 'I Read Banned Books' button in front of me on the desk. The library was handing them out during Banned Books Month one year.
On 01/14/2016 08:35 AM, Don Y wrote:

I volunteered at the library in Dover, NH and one of the tasks was pruning the stock. There were two or three references books. One was 'Books in Print' and being included in BIP was good. I can't remember the titles of the other two references but one was essentially 'Books Every Library Should Have' and the other was similar. Being in those guaranteed the book was retained. Miss all three and it was a goner.
I thought the BIP criterion was counter intuitive. The out of print books are those that should be preserved. I scored a complete set of John Burroughs, a late 19th century naturalist from NY. They hadn't been checked out in some time and weren't in any of the references.

The MPL doesn't have much shelf space. Part of the reason is devoting a good deal of floor space to audiovisual materials. Again, that's what is popular along with books with unicorns on the cover. Celine, Hamsun, Hemingway, hit the road.

The library supposedly only has records of holds and that you have a particular book checked out. Bring it back and the record is gone. Or so they say. I sometimes miss the cards in the pockets where they'd put your name. Not secure at all but at least I could see at a glance if I'd read a book. I tend to run through authors I enjoy and can't always remember the titles I've read. Worse, sometimes I can get 50 pages into the text before I get the deja vu feeling.
On 1/14/2016 8:46 PM, rbowman wrote:

It's nowhere near as "consistent"/predictable, here. It's as if the staff have an incentive to get rid of titles -- generate "need"!

SWMBO's art book library was largely acquired from discards. Many of the titles are currently selling for high prices on Amazon, ABE, etc. (lots of "color plates" make them expensive to produce)

Branch libraries tend to be ~10,000 sq ft. Some closer to 5, others around 20. But, the trend seems to be "lots of open space" (instead of lots of closely packed stacks).
Things like DVD's and CD's are treated much like books -- but not too much "on the shelves". E.g., the branch at which I pick up my reserves probably has 2 or 3% of the stacks devoted to audio/video media. Lots of "behind the scenes" space for "processing". Plus, conference rooms that are available for public use. Plus a large (~2000 sq ft) "function room" that can be reserved for certain functions. And, a slew of PC's (probably 30?).
Any "technical" material is limited to Windows XXX (whatever is current) how-to's. I suspect even math and science books are pretty lame/generic.
OTOH, the University is nearby and, aside from the hassles of PARKING, accessible (though to checkout books you need to buy a $35/annual card -- as a "non student")

With a third party performing these functions, there are no guarantees as to *what* they keep. Nor what criteria apply to its disclosure.

As can anyone else who takes the book! :>

My favorite author is A E van Vogt. Many of his stories are surprisingly similar. Others are "reissues" under different names, etc. So, I may be considerably invested in a story with a nagging feeling that I've read it before -- and, it can go either way: it could be a story I've read under a different title; *or*, can be a different story with similar characters, setting, etc.
But, as long as I "enjoy the ride", who cares?
On 01/14/2016 10:24 PM, Don Y wrote:

The only branch library I've dealt with was at Ajo. It's a branch of the Tucson library even though the mothership is 110 miles away. There was a librarian, Lily Salazar, who had very long arms. There wasn't much I asked for that she couldn't produce through ILL, even if it had to trickle in from Texas on pony Express. She died, all too young, and it hasn't been the same since.
On 1/14/2016 11:04 PM, rbowman wrote:

Yeah, it's a suburb of Los Angeles...

From what I've gathered, the trick is to make sure it can be located via WorldCat. Then, hope they have ILL privileges with one (or more) of the institutions holding copies.
I've been told an ILL is ~$70. Not sure if those are direct *fees* that the library absorbs (payable to the lender?) *or* if that's what some bean-counter figured the cost of staff+resources divided by number of ILLs worked out to... In either case, I figure this is a resource that my tax dollars fund, so why not exploit it?
Presently looking for two documents that aren't present in WorldCat. Had to track down author -- in Sweden. Now, spending a LOT of time trying to prune my request down to the barest essentials -- but no smaller (paraphrasing AEinstein). Author is ~70-ish and articles are ~40 years old. So, this is going to be a real stretch! Don't want to ask too much and get NOTHING ("too much effort to answer"); but, also don't want to omit some key question that I might never get a SECOND chance to ask!
On 1/13/2016 11:17 AM, Don Y wrote:

You want a tablet with a fairly high-resolution screen for an e-book reader.
I've been using a 1280 x 800 8" tablet and it's adequate for e-books (189 PPI) but I'd prefer a 300 ppi or greater. It was $160. LG Gpad 8.0 II. I like the fact that it has a full size USB and a Micro USB port.

Gently used books for sale
http://www.letthestoriesliveon.com/Default.asp