Epoxy Floor

The epoxy floor kits with the colored chips - has anyone tried to apply this over 1" ceramic glazed tiles? The tile was set in 1-1/2" of mortar so there's really no removing it. I'm looking for quick and easy here. Thanks
Joe wrote:

W/o seeing the floor - no guarantees, YMMV, all caveats apply, and all that crap. Probably work fine, but I haven't done so. I would take into consideration the condition and age of the tile, incl. the subfloor condition (under the mortar) and whether it is wood or slab.
The epoxy rock flooring has gotten somewhat popular on the west coast for interior floors but remember, it's not maintenance free. It has to be cleaned regularly and should be done once a year by a rug cleaning outfit as it's somewhat porous and attracts dirt and believe it or not, particles of dead skin from those who go barefoot much, which gives the place a gymnasium smell.

I used a product called U-Coat-it (also epoxy based paint, with flex) on my garage floor and it was pretty specific that it had to be applied to a clean concrete floor.

1.5 inches of mortar? you mean thinset? Over an inch is really a lot to be put down, were they trying to level the floor. Removal is easy, sledge hammer to start and the local Ace Hardware rental for a $50 a day electric floor scraper. Sweat and cursing is optional.
Joe wrote:

profile. Also better consider a solvent free epoxy floor paint instead of the waterbased one you're talking about.
paul
--

"Living on Earth is expensive, but it does include
a free trip around the Sun every year."

What maintenance?? I coated my garage floor with epoxy four years ago. Soap and water a broom and it is spotless! Greg
Greg O Wrote:

Sorry, I wasn't referring to cleaning. I've heard some people complain that their epoxy coated floor has chipped and peeled over time, so they've had to occasionally make repairs. Maybe they didn't take the time to properly prepare the surface prior to applying the epoxy. I don't know. I imagine there are other factors like product quality and climate that can affect the short and long term performance as well.
--
benjacobs

What\'s In YOUR Garage?
snipped-for-privacy@mylounge.com wrote:

For less than half the price, you can get a "parking pad". Just roll it out and be done with it: http://www.bltllc.com/parking-pad.htm (the website isn't much to look at, but I'm really happy with the product).
Guest Wrote:

I don't think you can beat a "parking pad" when it comes to "quick and easy"...not to mention price. I like the diamond plate pattern myself.
--
benjacobs

What\'s In YOUR Garage?