Engine damage,low oil

Will running a V8 2.5 quarts low on oil for a month seriously damage a Northstar that takes 7 quarts, mainly driven at 30 mph. Does the crankshaft become uncovered below 1 quart down, damaging the crankshaft. I visited the folks and its what I found missing in the cadillac.

Reply to
m Ransley

Unless it lost oil pressure (oil light on?), then probably not. I believe those Northstars carry over 7 qts in the pan as it is.

And just for the record, the crank isn't covered by the oil, it is above the oil level and protected by a windage tray. If the crank was submerged then it would great bubbles by splashing in the oil and cause a loss of oil pressure in of itself. The crank is oiled by pressurized oil which is supplied from the oil pump, which pumps it through the crank journals into the main bearings.

FWIW, Northstars are garbage motors anyway. They typically have a low end knock to them - even with moderate miles. Dealers are frequently putting crank kits in them.

-CF

Reply to
CFster

Yes the 2000 North star is crapp, from day one it goes through nearly a quart in 1000m, but the dealer wont do anything till it looses one quart in 1000 for warranty bs. Oil warning of level check was on for at least one month. I have a 4 camry that at 100000 uses one quart in 5000, Im not impressed with Northstar from day1

Reply to
m Ransley

I have two Buicks with the 3.8 liter V6. I change oil at 7500. One has never used oil between changes and now has 106,000 miles, the Regal uses a quart at about 5000 miles and has 146,000 on it. I did change the plugs at

80,000. Nothing else had been done to either one of them. Both give the same performance and mileage as when they wee new. Next car will have the same engine..
Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

At the rate you're going, your next engine will be a 6hp electric/oil/wind/solar/biomass hybrid in a plastic, um, "personal transportation device."

Reply to
HeyBub

Nah, probably get a new car next year. I've been driving the '91 Regal Ltd. to sort of "use it up" over the next six months. It has the original exhaust and it is starting to go after 15 years and the AC needs expensive work. At least 60% of my driving is highway and while I don't drive like an old fart, I don't drive like when I was 18 either. I still like the way it drives and handles and would not hesitate to hop in and take a cross country drive in it.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

To find out, follow these instructions precisely...........

Discalimer - This automotive assistance is sponsored by Joe's Garage and Funeral Parlor. Use at your own risk, and if you die, be sure to contact Joe's Garage and Funeral Parlor for excellent repair service. If your car dies, we'll be happy to perform an autopsy and bury it at a fair price in accordance with federal and state regulations.

SAFETY ISSUES - Before you begin working on you car, ALWAYS wear safety googles and a condom.

Now for the repair work.

Be sure to use some muffler glue on your axle when you loosen the nut on your radiator cap and dont forget that when you pull you dipstick out of your dashboard, always use plenty of grease on the radio knobs. Therefore it is a well known fact that no one knows anything about the proper way to replace tail pipe bearings and how to change the cooling fluid inside the distributor cap. Of course some guys take ignition coils and open them with a can opener so they can eat the sardines inside while they absorb the motor oil from their master cylinder with their spark plugs. Don't forget to check the hydraulic fluid in your plug wires. Always be sure to inspect your windshield for bearing wear, and check your fuse box for coolant leaks. If your cam is concentric, be sure to rotate it backwards at least 3 turns, and file off any warped heads that are stuck to it. Finally, when you change the air in your transmission, be sure to always rotate the linkage on your differential so that it only wears on the module and preserves the costly coat of paint on the inside of your inner tubes. If your garage floor is filthy when you are finished, use your vacuum advance to mop it.

I'd like to Thank all my customers for their excellent repair service on all of my cars!

Joe's Garage and Funeral Parlor

Reply to
Joe'sGarage&FuneralParlor