"Emergency service only"

Page 2 of 2
On Wed, 17 Jun 2015 02:59:23 +0000 (UTC), danny burstein

That's good to know. I used to keep an old cell phone and its charger in the trunk of the car, for emergencies, but I think I took it out. If I haven't had an emergency in 50 years I probably won't. I've only been towed 4 times and each time I was in the middle of civilization. (Of course I should replace the timing belt.....)
On 6/18/2015 3:01 AM, micky wrote:

Much same, here. I do cary old cell phone, and a car charger. It's not perfect, but it's a chance at calling help.
Per micky:

I would think that the probability experiencing an emergency situation rises with age.
--
Pete Cresswell

Yeah in one way, but I drive less, live in a warmer climate, cars are more reliable, and I have fewer years left than I've already spent. so I think the odds are increasing that I won't have an emergency regarding the car, integrated over the time from now until the end of my life. .
On 6/16/2015 7:59 PM, danny burstein wrote:

On inactive CDMA phones the phone will connect you to ARN where you can place a call with a credit card. No incoming calls. This doesn't work with GSM phones. If the CDMA phone is active on a carrier that can't roam onto the tower to which it is connected this doesn't work and you can only make emergency calls. Also, a CDMA phone that you stop using does not instantly go into the inactive phone database.
You can purchase a block of minutes to use with an inactive phone on ARN. The minutes are good for a year. <http://www.americanroaming.com/BuyVirtualPin.html . Remember, no one can call you, it's outgoing only.

Grandpa, what's CDMA? Isn't that like iDen?
Is Sprint still using it? Thanks
On 06/18/2015 10:29 AM, danny burstein wrote:

Sprint and Verizon use CDMA. AT&T and T-mobile use GSM.
IIRC, 4G is the same for all systems.
For some reason the CDMA networks are the only ones I can use here. BTW, I have 2 cell phones, one on Verizon and the other on Ting (Sprint MVNO).
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

I'll remember.
It's interesting, the smallest one is the cheapest. 120 minutes for $15, but 2/3rds more money for 1/3 more time. 4/3rds more money for 2/3rds more time.
"RECHARGES RECEIVE THE LOWEST RATE OF $0.25 PER MINUTE REGARDLESS OF THE ORIGINAL PURCHASE PRICE." and the hioghest original purchase price was 15cents a minute for the middle choice. The first and third choices were less.
micky posted for all of us...

Why don't you call nogophone? Geez (again)
--
Tekkie *Please post a follow-up*

On 6/16/2015 2:55 PM, micky wrote:

When your phone connects to a tower that your carrier doesn't roam on you will get that message.
When you have an unactivated phone, or your service has been cut off for whatever reason, but you are within range of a tower that your phone is compatible with you will get that message.
It usually occurs on T-Mobile phones that can't roam onto an AT&T tower though in rare cases there will be no AT&T coverage but a T-Mobile tower will be in range.
Most prepaid services can't roam much, if at all, i.e. GoPhone, Cricket, Boost, Virgin. Some can roam, at least for voice, i.e. Page Plus and many of the other América Móvil services (but not all of them). The best MVNO in terms of roaming is Consumer Cellular whose primary carrier is AT&T but that roams for both voice and data onto other GSM carriers.