Elk Premium Roofing

A contractor has bid on my home roof repair using Elk Premium Roofing. A brand I'm not familiar with. Anyone with first hand experience with this?

Reply to
Jim

Elk is a widely used brand here in Florida. I put a 3 tab 30 year dimensional shingle on my roof about 10 years ago and it is still doing fine. As in all roof jobs, the preparation of the surface and installation is as important as the material.

Reply to
Travis Jordan

We had Elk Prestique Plus installed on our condo in '97. Mansards on roof. Shingles not nailed on nailing line. Some roof vents plugged, which I insisted on checking but was only discovered recently. Shingles fell off by the dozens. Roofer, after 3 or 4 callbacks, did major "re-do". City has since required adhesive under tabs on mansards. On the last re-do, they glued down tabs. Finally seem to be staying in place. During the last hurricane, our neighbors lost lots of shingles and concrete tiles. Not us :o)

Our roof was originally concrete tile, and these are dark brown shingles. Not a great color here, IMO. Between improper nailing, high heat and almost vertical lie, the weight probably was too much for our roof. Nailing 1/4" over the nailing line means you catch only the top

1/4" of the top layer of the shingle.
Reply to
Norminn

Doesn't changing the mansard from tile to asphalt shingles 'cheapen' the neighborhood?

Reply to
Travis Jordan

Sounds like a contractor issue.

Reply to
Jim

On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 17:08:48 -0400, Jim scribbled this interesting note:

Do a Google search in this group with Elk as a search parameter. You'll find more than one such question about Elk products (and practices) answered...

John Willis

Norminn wrote: snip> City has since required adhesive under tabs on mansards.

Reply to
tom

I did, that's why I'm asking here for more appropriate details.

Reply to
Jim

This is Turtle.

Yes , in 2002 I had my roof done with Elk Good stuff 45 year stuff. My Roofer called me 2004 and said there was a recall of the shingles of my type. he filled out a form and Elk sent me a check to totally replace my shingles and did not require me to do the job. They just canceled the warranty on my shingles and said when I change my shingle out. i would get a new warranty. So I got $3,800.00 and my shingle job still good. I will wait and see if i have any trouble.

With this I would say Elk Premium roofing would good to deal with.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

If true turt, (and i have no reason to doubt you) then Elk is a quality, class act beyond reproach. Most supliers spend way too much $$ ducking waranty issues instead of doing as you suggest.

-- Troweller^nospam^@canada.com

Reply to
ConcreteFinishing&StuccoGuy

My limited education about roofing began with our shingles falling off constantly. Instructions at the time did not mention mansards. They had the correct number of nails, but just not nailed on the line. I would not choose the same shingle again, but that is just me. I didn't know, until last year, that concrete tiles can blow off a roof. There are still shingles lying in the street around these parts, and it is hurricane season again :o)

The contractor has been in biz a long time, good reputation, and good about coming back. PIA for him, too, I suspect. Hubby was building manager at the time, and we have had very good relationships with contractors. Few problems, and good responses.

Reply to
Norminn

It looks like crap, but that is just my taste. Bought in low, land values are going nuts. Nobody here worried that the place will fall down because somebody wants the land :o) One guy bought two units, after us. The first unit, purch. 2001 for 140K, sold 2004 for 315K. Second unit, purch. 2003 for 180K, sold 11 months later for 286K. Is that 281K profit? Haven't met anyone yet who would not throw their mother in as part of the deal :o) The current condo board pres. has a daughter who is a realtor. Doing some fixing-up, has half a clue what the building needs, but focus on cosmetic stuff. Flat sections of roof need repair, but it doesn't show :o)

Reply to
Norminn

A springtime hailstorm brought out lots of roofers here in Oklahoma, both the locals and the roving storm chasers. I got half a dozen quotes, and all of them specified Elk. One contractor said Elk is marginally cheaper than the other major brands, and in a bidding situation they would be at a disadvantage to quote anything else.

I don't think it's anything more than that. You certainly can pick another brand if you like, and I'm sure the contractor would have no problem with that. He might charge you a little more, but probably not enough to matter.

Reply to
Peabody