Electricity Bill Quadrupled! - Energy Questions

Page 2 of 2

here
running
home.
At your rates your AC running steady, night and day may cost you over $600 a month to run it! My guess is you AC may need a tune up, or even replacement. 4 tons in a 2000 sq/ft home seems to me a bit large, but there are many variables so it is a WAG. Your unit is probably 6 or 8 SEER, the new units can get to 14 SEER pretty easy. A new will cut your cooling costs considerably as long as it is the problem! I think raising the 'stat to about 75 degrees will help too. You also state you have a humidifier running, that makes me wonder if your AC is working properly. If your AC is running constantly the humidity should be 40-50% easily.
The steps I would take first is to tune up the AC, tighten up the home, (make sure all the windows are closed and tight, etc.) raise the 'stat to 75. and learn to live with the higher setting. Pull the shades/curtains in south facing windows. If you decide to replace the AC make sure you get a Manual J done or you are just tossing good money away!

Wow, something is really wrong there... I am no expert but a few things jump out at me... 1. A 22 year old AC is very inefficient and gets worse as it gets older. 2. 4 tons in a 2000 sq ft house sounds like too big a unit was installed. 2 tons might be better. 3. your running a dehumidifier, your AC should be able to take out the humidity to a reasonable level. 4. In the NE you have some of the highest electric rates around. 5. 70 degrees is way to low to set that thermostat.
I have a 1 ton Trane unit about 6 years old on my 1200 sf ranch in Atlanta but I have about 1 foot of batt insulation in the attic and maintain a constant 79 temp day and night...I also have several ceiling fans turned on low speed most of the time too... Last power bill was $45 (the highest this year)... Have an electrician check out your usage it will be money well spent!

here
the previous resident probably vacationed in August

running
home.
What kind of heat do you have? If electric, maybe the house is cool enough to kick the heat on

LMAO. Thats a good one. My electric heat is set at 72 and my central air at 70; why is my electric bill so high?

Don't forget to check your air ducts. You might be cooling the attic.
It's the age of your AC. Mine kept pulling more and more during its final years until I finally replaced it at the ripe old age of 20. Now my bills are considerably less.

here
running
home.