Electrician Costs? Installing a ceiling fan with new electrical box.

Page 2 of 2

But the batteries tend to be expensive for some of the remotes.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

If I were doing this job and I do them all the time. 75.00 if ceiling is prewired for a fan. If you don't have an outlet in the ceiling and you want a wall switch 75.00 plus 100.00 for going into an attic and another 75.00 to wire switch, if I can get access without windowing drywall. Materials are extra, 3 wire for separate controls, 2 switch's and or dimmer extra. 250.00 total labor material extra and this is without seeing the job.
The living room will be much more and without seeing it, I would not even give an estimate. I have special tools to bore thru joists without doing much drywall windowing but it still needs some and repair afterwards, including drywall repair, texture, primer and paint.
I don't see this guy being that far off. Matter of fact he in my book is right on.
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can\'t make them THINK"

Ouch! Well, mine was a replacement fan set (Master Bedroom and Livingroom, renters broke both). Pull switches on both as the existing outlets are in use to control other things. He did go up in the attic though to make sure the boxes were stable and added a kit stabilizer. No drywall work needed.

I suspect so, a difficult install.
I was thinking to add one in my enclosed porch but there is no access above at all and the ceiling is plywood. There are electrical cables up there as there are 4 lights (the type you tend to see in garages with flourescent long bulbs). We need to recover financially from some other work first but later we want those taken out and a nice ceiling fan put in. It will have to be almost flush mounted to the ceiling as it's not a tall roof back there. 7'8" I think. For that, I expect to pay 350$ as the electrician we use already gave an estimate on it.
The other install was cheaper but part of why it was 50$ each was it was a package deal with several other items. The total at the end was almost 1,000$ worth of labor on the work. For example, I have 19 outlets on my back porch, all but 2 were 2 prong and interior style yet this is a merely screened portion (the enclosure part is fully enclosed sunroom, an 11x13 section with a remaining 11x44 fully screened portion). Because of the additional wiring he had to run for proper grounds etc, those were 75$ each. 10 of them were done and the rest capped safely off til later.
He also put in a new fixture for the laundry room to replace one gone bad for 25$ (easy reach situation)
750$+100$+25$ was the main part. Capping off the ones that were unsafe was the rest.
Grin, before you think this horrible, it wasnt. He did all this in about 6 hours. There was no cosmetic work needed on his end at all and the one long wire he had to run along the porch, was all in a straight line (we took the shingle facing off for him before he arrived and put it back up after he left).
I'd call a near 1,000$ haul in a 6 hour day a decent wage. And he's GOOD. Insured too.
Here's what's pending: 7 more outlets on the screened porch, 3 of which require a second wire of some sort (not on same wall as others, inner wall). 1 light fixure in kitchen unsafe (capped off now, needs new light fixure too, recessed sort), 3 outlets around the house that are capped off and not in spots we actually need them just now (2 prong), add another garage light set (he can reuse the ones in the enclosed sunroom), add an exterior outlet on the front of the house to run Xmas lights, replace 3 exterior flood lights at back of house, remove sunroom 'garage type' lights and put in ceiling fan with light fixture if he can get at joists right from below and if not, just replace existing set with something nicer or we accept a mild modification with a faux beam to stabilize the fan which we have to put in exactly according to his specs first then he anchors it to them. He specs this at a total of 1,850$ labor and no cosmetic work on his end. He estimates if he wants to put in a long day, 12 hours. If he doesnt feel like a long day, he says he might take 2 to do it all in 6 hour groups ;-)
Price may go up a bit as inflation hits, but he was sane to mention that and we expect it.
On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 08:48:46 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

It should cost at least ten times what you paid for your home. Idiots like you, who ask prices online and dont even state where you live, deserve to be over charged and ripped off for being an idiot. I hope you get taken and end up paying way too much.
On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 08:48:46 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I just put one in my house. I've done several before as well. The one I just did is in an attic with lousy access and blown in insulatrion to crawl through. It's a mess to do and a killer job if the attic is hot. I'd do the one in your living room prior to a paint job as it's hard to cover the holes if the paint is different.
On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 08:48:46 -0700, Johndagolfer wrote:

Ask for 3 bids and recommendations then take your pick. Hiring trades people is not always cheap, but at least you have a good shot at getting it done correctly.
The alternative would be to do it yourself and possibly learn something along the way. It's not difficult to run wire and put in new fans. Just takes some planning and common sense.

Franz Fripplfrappl