Electrical panel upgrade

I would like to upgrade my existing panel 100 amp Federal Pioneer with a 200 amp panel. the feeds from the meter to the panel (about 30 feet) are Alcan B 2 AWG. The feeds are in a conduit and will need upgrading, but I am not sure about the wiring size. The meter is labelled '2-200a 240v 1ph type j5s 3 wire 60 vc' so I assume it will handle the upgrade, but I will have that checked. Can anyone indicate the feeder wire size from the meter to the panel, CU or AL that may be required?

Thanks Akley

Reply to
Kurt.Gesell
200A will need 4/0AWG Aluminum wire or 2/0AWG Copper. Check with your power company. They will advise you as to weather your meter socket and wiring is good for the 200A service.

Reply to
J.A. Michel

Even if the meter is OK the meter box may not be rated 200A. This is a physical size for wires in addition to electrical rating.

With over head service you have to replace the wiring from meter to the connection to the service drop.

With underground service, the underground service wires may have to be replaced - which may be your cost, depending on utility regulations. The pipe from meter to underground may have to be replaced with a larger one.

Some of the grounding electrode wires may have to be replaced.

Services have some unique rules that are critical to safety.

-- bud--

Reply to
Bud--

Answers are based on US NEC, but are likely the same in Canada.

-- bud--

Reply to
Bud--